AZ_HUNTER
AZ_HUNTER, GM World Class Tech
Experience:  16 years GM Tech, ASE Master Certified
15524760

97 TAHOE: work, blinkers work, tail lights work, bulbs..brake switch

Customer Question

I HAVE A 97 TAHOE brake lights dont work, blinkers work, tail lights work, bulbs are good, 3rd brake light works, changed out brake switch with no result. Have power to the brake switch but nothing after??? help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

When this happens its actually the turn signal switch. The switch is what directs power to the brake lights believe it or not.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how can I verify this? what is the test
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.

If the turnsignals work right then that is the test. Make sure the white wire going into the turn signal switch has power to ground when the brake pedal is pressed. If it does then the switch is bad. This is a very common problem.

Edited by Anthony on 1/12/2010 at 3:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont understand what you mean when you say has power to ground when the peddle is pressed?
Expert:  AZ_HUNTER replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Lets start with this, do you have a 12v test lamp or a volt meter?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is no power to the white wire when the brake switch is pressed
Expert:  AZ_HUNTER replied 7 years ago.
Ok then the brake switch is faulty. There should be constant power on the orange wire at the brake switch and when the switch is closed (pedal pressed), power should transfer through the switch and out on the white wire. To verify that the switch is faulty, disconnect the switch and run a jumper wire from the orange wire to the white. The brake lights should come on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i did that and they still dont come on
Expert:  AZ_HUNTER replied 7 years ago.

Ok, if you powered up the white wire from the brake switch and still have no brake lamps, then you most likely have a faulty turn signal switch assembly. The power from the brake switch runs through the turn signal switch and out to the brake lamps through the turn signal circuit. Since you have turn signals, you know the circuits from the switch to the rear tail lamps are good. If you do not have power at the white wire at the brake switch, then that switch is also faulty.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im going to jump power to the white wire at the turn signal and see if I have brake lights.
Expert:  AZ_HUNTER replied 7 years ago.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there are 2 white wires going to the turn signal and the smaller guage wire has power which is the same wire that goes to the brake. how do I get the turn signal switch out. I musty need a puller for the steering wheel but how do I get the key switch out because it has the cover around it.???
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you got any ideas?
Expert:  AZ_HUNTER replied 7 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. start by disconnecting the battery. Pop the steering column covers loose. The bottom one will come off completely, the upper you will have to tilt to gain access to the key tumbler release hole. This is a very small hole in the housing directly above the tumbler. turn the key to the start position and use a 90 degree pick to press the release button inside that hole. release the key to the run position and pull the ignition timber out.