Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's

On a 4L60E Transmission, can the uotput shaft seal be installed

Customer Question

On a 4L60E Transmission, can the uotput shaft seal be installed from the outside or does it have to be installed from the inside? Also, is there a bushing?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to help you.

the seal is installed from the outside in you just have to remove the driveshaft. the bushing is what keeps the driveshaft stable in the tail housing. i recommend adding grease to it before putting it back in to help lube the bushing.Please click ACCEPT if i have been helpful and let me know if i can be of anymore
assistance positive feedback and BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED , however do NOT
click accept if you are not happy with my answer and please do NOT leave
negative or neutral feedback as it has a direct impact on me.THANKS,Lou.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How about for aXXXXXtransmission? I believe you were referring to the 2wd? The transfer cse would have to come out to remove it on the 4wd....
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 years ago.
no it is the same for the 4wd output shaft to the rear diff. transfer case does not have to come out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm speaking about the output shaft that goes from the transmission to the transfer case. Not anyway near the differential. It is suppose to be a dry chamber in-between tranny and transfer case. Im leaking fluid here and it is not coming from the transfer case because the transfer case is still full.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 years ago.
ok well this information would have been helpful from the beginning.yes you need to remove the transfer case to access this seal. it is replaced the same as a output seal only you have to remove the transfer case to access. it you would have said that in the beginning i would not have wasted your time with all these emails i apologize. but yes remove the transfer case and you can see the seal and replace it just no different than that of a 2wd truck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Actually, we ended up waiting and asking the dealership today. You don't have to remove the transfer case, but you do have to slide it back. Yes, there is a small housing thing on the transmission that you have to remove to replace that seal. They faxed us a picture and we got it replaced. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX apologize if we wasted YOUR time :)
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 years ago.
well sliding it back is removing it.