Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

i need the head bolt sequence and torque specs for a 1994 GMC

i need the head bolt sequence and torque specs for a 1994 GMC 6.5 turbo diesel. I have new heads and bolts.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 years ago.

The left rear head bolt must be installed into the head prior to head installation. Coat the threads and heads of the head bolts with sealing compound (GM part #1052080 or equivalent) before installation. On 1988-95 models, tighten the head bolts in three stages: 20 ft. lbs. (25 Nm); 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm) and finally, 14 or 90° turn more.

Fig. 10: Cylinder head bolt tightening sequence-6.5L engines

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/framerq.asp

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't really follow putting the left rear headbolt part. Won't that make it harder to fit the head on with the bolt hanging down? Also is it the upper or lower bolt that you are talking about?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 years ago.
I think they just mean to insert the bolt into the head cause there may not be room to put the bolt in once you set the head on. Not to actually tighten it, just set it in the hole.