Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1989 chevy: egr solenoid valve, TPS..throttle body..cab

have a 1989 chevy 1500 5.7L 5 speed manual engine idle very high have changed the idle air control valve, egr solenoid valve, TPS, and sprayed all the lines that lead to throttle body for vacuum leaks and the base of the throttle body have found no leaks up top and the only other help i can offer is that whatever controls that little shift light in the cab that tells you when to shift the vehicle no longer works and it used to
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

did you set the iac when you installed it?does the engine light come on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i didn't know it needed to be or how. and no there isn't any code or engine light coming on

ok

this may help

thanks

CLEANING AND INSPECTION PROCEDURE

1. Clean the IAC valve O-ring sealing surface, pintle valve seat, and air passage.
    • Use the carburetor cleaner and a parts cleaning brush in order to remove carbon deposits. Follow instructions on the container.
    • Do not use a cleaner that contains methyl ethyl ketone, an extremely strong solvent and not necessary for this type of deposit.
    • Shiny spots on the pintle or seat are normal. They do not indicate misalignment or a bent pintle shaft.
    • If air passage has heavy deposits, remove the throttle body for complete cleaning.
  1. Inspect the IAC valve O-ring for cuts, cracks, or distortion. Replace if damaged. NOTE : If installing a new IAC valve, replace with an identical part. The IAC valve pintle shape and diameter are designed for the specific application.
  2. Measure the distance A between tip of IAC valve pintle and mounting flange. If greater than 28 mm, use finger pressure in order to slowly retract the pintle. The force required to retract the pintle of a new valve will not cause damage to the valve.

MEASUREMENT PROCEDURE

NOTE : If installing a new IAC valve, replace with an identical part. The AC valve pintle shape and diameter are designed for the specific application.

Measure the distance A between tip of IAC valve pintle and mounting flange. If greater than 28 mm, use finger pressure in order to slowly retract the pintle. The force required to retract the pintle of a new valve will not cause damage to the valve.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Lubricate the IAC valve O-ring with clean engine oil.
  1. Install the IAC valve assembly.
  2. Install the attaching screws. Tighten
    • Tighten the IAC valve attaching screws to 3.0 Nm (26 lb. in.) .
  1. Install the electrical connector.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry that did not help but when i was out there i sprayed the egr valve itself not the solenoid and it altered the engine speed does that help you because that is the only thing i have sprayed other than in the throttle itself that has effected the idle speed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
look i will not accept that answer i am not satisfied and if you cannot help me any further than just let me know and i will pay to have a mechanic look at it thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

maybe the computer is bad or maybe there is a vacuum hose that i cant see i dont know but if you are a local garage maybe i could just bring the truck in

hi

sorry i was off line

of,if you spayed the egr valve area and it altered the engine ,,there is a vacuum leak,,it may be at the rear of the throttle body or the egr diaphragm may be leaking

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.