Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience

2003 Chevy Trailblazer. Tailgate will not open and the rear

2003 Chevy Trailblazer. Tailgate will not open and the rear windshield wiper will not work.
I checked the fuses, they appear to be fine.
Also, could not manually unlock the door thru the trim plug. Left latch moved fine to the unlock position, but lifting the right latch did nothing. Any suggestions??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question! It sounds like there is a problem with the lift gate module. This module controls the latches and wipers. You will need to start pulling off the trim to get to the latches and module. It would be best to have the module tested in the trailblazer. It will have to be done at the dealer. You can save some money by pull off the trim before you take it into the dealer. I will send you some information to help you. Thank You Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Object Number: 691004  Size: FS
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Rear Window Garnish Molding Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Open the liftgate.

2. Object Number: 721365  Size: SH

3. Release the clips that retain the garnish molding to the liftgate.
  4. Remove the wire harness (1) from the slot located on the garnish molding.
  5. Remove the garnish molding from the liftgate.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 721365  Size: SH

1. Position the garnish molding to the liftgate.
  2. Install wire harness (1) into the slot located on the garnish molding.
  3. Index the locating tabs to the corresponding holes in the liftgate.
  4. Index the retaining clips to the liftgate.
  5. Push the garnish molding into the liftgate in order to fully seat the retaining clips.
  6. Close the liftgate.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Liftgate Trim Panel Replacement (TrailBlazer EXT, Envoy XL)

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the upper liftgate garnish molding.
  2. Open the liftgate window.

3. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Remove the push-pin retainer from the upper trim panel.
  5. Close the liftgate window.
  6. Open the liftgate.
  7. Use a flat-bladed tool in order to carefully release the trim panel retainers.
  8. Remove the trim panel from the liftgate.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the trim panel to the liftgate.

2. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Ensure that the trim panel retainers are fully seated.
  4. Close the liftgate.
  5. Open the liftgate window.
  6. Install the push-pin retainer in the upper trim panel.
  7. Close the liftgate window.
  8. Install the upper liftgate garnish molding.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Liftgate Control Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the liftgate window garnish molding.
  2. Remove the liftgate trim panel. Object Number: 749979  Size: SH

3. Disconnect the electrical connectors (3) from the module as necessary.
  4. Remove the bolts that retain the module to the liftgate.
  5. Remove the module from the liftgate.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 749979  Size: SH

1. Install the module to the liftgate.
  2. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the bolts that retain the module to the liftgate.
  4. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

5. Connect the electrical connectors (3) as necessary.
  6. Install the liftgate trim panel.
  7. Install the liftgate window garnish molding.
  8. Reprogram the liftgate control module.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks very much for the reply, Ken.

I think I'll take it to a Chevy dealer.

Thanks again,