The only time this message would come on during normal condition (without a actual problem or malfunction with the trans) are
- Shifting the trans from park or neutral to drive or reverse while the engine is not at idle.
-Shifting the trans from drive to reverse or reverse to drive while under load throttle around 25% (as if you were rocking the truck to get unstuck)
-if the transfer case is in neutral or the tcm thinks its in neutral (has there been a service 4wd message?)
-shifting from reverse to drive or drive to revers while still moving, driveshaft moving more than 300rpm in either direction.
- low atf fluid or lack of prime (have seen one case of the pump would loose prime after sitting, had to replace trans pump)
- low atf temp below -49 deg f
Problems that could cause this message to come up as a result of a malfunctioning part and would require repair. Would have to go to dealer to check for DTC's
- Low voltage on a ecm circuit. there is a info bulletin out this #pip3413a
-turbine or output speed sensor failure
-park neutral switch out of adjustment
- there is also a clutch failure, but you said it woks fine after initial gear select so thats probably not the case.