Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

2008 Chevy Aveo: Want to change the spark plugs

2008 Chevy Aveo. Want to change the spark plugs. How do I get the spark plug boots to come off ????!!!! If I pull any harder they might break
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately, from the factory, the plug wires are not installed with "anti-seize" inside them. I find twisting them first, left and right, and then pushing down and twisting again helps. Also, make sure you are grabbing by the boot, and not the wire. Again, unfortunately, sometimes breaking a plug wire is inevitable and is a common by-product of removing these wires. Good news is- the aftermarket wires will come with a little tube of anti-seize, and you will never have this problem again.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What about using a spark plug boot puller ($5 at harbor frieght) ? These boots are really long and made out of foam. The boot puller looks too short. Is there another tool that will work ?

Should I just buy a set of wires too ? Incase I have to break a wire ?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

If you can get a tool that has a long, skinny enough reach- absolutely! I have a set of LONG needle nose, that i have bent the tips into half-circles. It does help a little. Make sure you still do the "twist" method. And the boots aren't really "foam" they're rubber and can take more a beating then you're giving them credit (within cheap OEM part specs that is). Just to be safe, grab a set of wires, and keep them in the box with the receipt. If you don't need them, return them.