Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Monte Carlo: remote start..only getting..I get icy cold air for awhile

I have an 06 Monte Carlo. When I use the remote start for the heater I am only getting cold air. After I turn the car on with the key I get icy cold air for awhile. The heat turns to cold air every time I take my foot off the gas or am at a red light. Car only stays warm after driving for about 10 minutes.

Also, I must be standing within 5 yards of the car for the remote start to work as well as to lock/unlock the doors Have tried swapping the key fobs to no avail.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

The no heat at idle condition is normally caused by low coolant level and air in the cooling system. Top off the engine coolant if it is low, then follow the below procedure to get trapped air out of the cooling system.

#PIC4301C: Poor Heat At Idle - (Feb 6, 2009)

Subject:Poor Heat at Idle

Models:2006 - 2009 Chevrolet Impala
2006 - 2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC4301B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Poor heat at idle, however, if the engine RPMs are raised the concern no longer occurs.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Note: Be sure to follow all SI safety procedures and caution notices.

1. With the engine cooled off, remove the coolant pressure cap.
  2. Remove upper heater core hose from the metal pipe on the engine.
  3. Add coolant to the metal pipe, until full.
  4. Raise the rubber portion of the heater core hose as high as it will go with it still attached at the heater core. Using a funnel, add coolant until the hose is full.
  5. Reconnect the heater core hose.
  6. Start engine, have assistant raise the RPMs to about 1500 to 1700 RPMs, top coolant off at engine, then before lowering engine RPMs, install the coolant pressure cap.
  7. Fill coolant reservoir as necessary, then check the heat at idle.

These cars also have problems with the remote keyless entry transmitters and receivers. The bulletin below addresses that concern.

#07-08-52-001C: Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace/Reprogram RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters) - (Aug 27, 2009)

Subject:Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace/Reprogram RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters)

Models:2006-2007 Buick Lucerne
2006-2007 Cadillac DTS
2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-52-001B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Important: This bulletin does not apply to vehicles built after the following dates:

DTS / Lucerne: 5/1/07
Impala / Monte Carlo: 3/1/07
For vehicles built after these dates, refer to SI for diagnosis and repair information.

Some customers may comment about one or more of the following conditions:

The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitters will not program, function and/or the RKE transmitter low battery message is displayed.
The Service Tire Monitor System message is displayed.
The new RKE transmitter cannot be programmed.
The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) and/or Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) transmitter has poor range.

Cause

Any of these concerns may be caused by an internal fault with the transmitters and/or the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) software/hardware.

Correction

DO NOT REPLACE THE BCM.

Important:

The 2006 and 2007 Impala LS without AP8 does not have a coax antenna.
The 2006 and 2007 Lucerne without AP3 or AP8 does not have a coax antenna.

1. Replace the RCDLR module and the RCDLR antenna using the following procedure:
  2. Impala / Monte Carlo

1.1. Remove the driver's side "A" pillar molding and I/P closeout panel.
    1.2. Unplug the speaker.
    1.3. To expose the RCDLR antenna, partially remove the driver's side upper I/P closeout panel (near windshield).
    1.4. Remove the clips holding the RCDLR antenna wire at the RCDLR module and along the "A" pillar.
    1.5. Cut the old RCDLR antenna wire a minimum of 152 mm (6 in) from the button (connecting to the windshield), leaving that portion of the old RCDLR antenna connected to the windshield.
    1.6. Remove the I/P carrier bolt and remove the old RCDLR antenna.
    1.7. Remove the RCDLR module.
    1.8. Install the new RCDLR module.
    1.9. Lay in the new RCDLR antenna and reinstall the carrier bolt.
    1.10. Connect the new antenna to the RCDLR antenna module.
    1.11. Clip the new RCDLR antenna into place using the existing holes on the "A" pillar.
    1.12. Reinstall the I/P close-out panel.
    1.13. Reconnect the speaker wire.

Important: Be sure that the end of the old RCDLR antenna is tucked behind the "A" pillar molding. The button on the windshield is no longer functional, however leaving the cover on the button will provide a cleaner look to the vehicle.

1.14. Reinstall the "A" pillar molding and I/P side closeout panel.

DTS

1.1. Remove the rear seat cushion.
    1.2. Remove the rear seat back.
    1.3. Lower and remove the trunk trim cover to gain access to the underside of the rear package shelf.
    1.4. Remove the rear seat belts.
    1.5. Remove the interior C-pillar trim (sail) panels and package shelf.
    1.6. Remove the RCDLR module and antenna.

Tip
    The existing antenna is grounded into another wiring harness. It will be necessary to pull the existing harness and antenna up near the C-pillar in order to disconnect the antenna from the other wiring harness.

Important: The new antenna will not be grounded into the other wiring harness.

1.7. Install a new RCDLR module and antenna.
    1.8. Tape back the harness ground connection.
    1.9. Reinstall the rear package shelf.
    1.10. Reinstall the interior C-pillar trim (sail) panels.
    1.11. Reinstall the rear seat belts.
    1.12. Reinstall the trunk trim cover.
    1.13. Reinstall the rear seat back.
    1.14. Reinstall the rear seat cushion.

Lucerne

1.1. Remove left rear C-pillar trim (sail) panel.
    1.2. Remove the RCDLR antenna and receiver/module (located under the shelf package -- accessed through the trunk).

Tip

1.3. Reinstall the new antenna and RCDLR receiver/module.
    1.4. Reinstall the C-pillar trim (sail) panel.

Important: When programming a new or existing RCDLR, the programming instructions in SI must be followed.

3. Reprogram the RCDLR with the latest software update available through TIS2WEB.
  4. Important:

On vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM), the tire type and tire pressures must be selected in the module set-up using the Tech 2®. If this step is not performed, the RCDLR will not retain the tire pressures after the TPM system is learned.
    Tip: When selecting the Tire Type/Pressure, choose the appropriate selection on the Tech 2® based on psi, not kPa. The vehicle must be driven immediately. Monitor the tire pressures on the DIC and drive the vehicle until dashes no longer appear.
    After the learn procedure is complete, be sure to set the tire pressures according to the information on the tire placard.

5. If equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring System, perform the Tire Pressure Sensor Relearn using the J 46079 following the procedure found in SI.
  6. Replace both Remote Keyless Entry transmitters. New transmitters are identified by a star on the back of the transmitter. It is important to verify that the replacement transmitters have a star on the back.
  7. Program the transmitters using the procedure listed in SI.

Parts Information

Important: Refer to the parts catalog using the VIN of the vehicle being serviced to identify the correct part numbers.

Impala / Monte Carlo

Part Number

Description

25876416

Antenna -- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (Impala with RVS Only)

25845987

Antenna -- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (Monte Carlo Only)

15912859

Transmitter -- 4 Button with Trunk

15912860

Transmitter -- with Remote Vehicle Start System

25896540

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock ( with RKE and without RVS)

25896497

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock ( with RKE and RVS)

Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification