AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

99 Cutlass: anti-theft..ride..I cannot start my car..couple times

Customer Question

My 99 Cutlass has an anti-theft devise which trips (and for some reason has no over-ride) and then I cannot start my car for at least 10minutes (a couple times over an hour!!). I have researched this online and found someone who says that the VATS wire can be cut while car is running. Just wondering what this will do and if it will prevent me from being late for work due to this problem!
Thanks!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

Hello!

I would recommend to do a relearn procedure. THis is very common on these cars and a simple relearn procedure will usually take care of the problem. Here it is.

10 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

TOOLS REQUIRED
None

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Pass lock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Pass lock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Pass lock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
With a scan tool, clear any Docs if needed. history Docs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.