Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

How to replace heater core on an 2001 silverado 1500 series

Customer Question

how to replace heater core on an 2001 silverado 1500 series
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello. As to have accurate info, what engine do you have and is it 4x4. LMk thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4.8, two wheel drive
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. there are many steps involved and a large file to send to you. the entire dash must come out. the info i send will time out after awhile for copy protection. Do you have a way to print it? Also, there will be some steps you will need to figure on your own ( small things) as just too much to send. LMK thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i can print
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I am going to send the info over 2-3 seperate posts as the files are large. Do not respond till you have received all of them. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

i don't know if you have my e-mail, XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, if that makes it easier.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions .

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable(s).
  2. Remove the instrument panel trim pad.
  3. Remove the following components, depending on how the vehicle is equipped:
    • The IP cupholder cover (shown)
    • The IP cupholder Refer to Cupholder Replacement.
    • The floor console extension Refer to Console Replacement (Base Console) or Console Replacement (Console W/ Extension).

1. Remove the Data Link Connector (DLC) (1) from the IP assembly.
  2. Remove the driver side knee bolster.
  3. Remove the lower IP trim panel. CAUTION: This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:
      • Air bag deployment
      • Personal injury
      • Unnecessary SIR system repairs

In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:

• Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
    • If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in Restraint Systems .
  1. Remove the passenger side air bag module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel Module Replacement in Restraint Systems.
  2. Remove the knee bolster deflector.

1. Remove the steering column.

1. Disconnect the Body Control Module (BCM) (1) from the bracket.

1. Pull out the left side accessory switch bracket (1).
  2. Disconnect the electrical connections.
  3. Remove the IP Cluster.
  4. Remove the radio.
  5. Remove the HVAC control assembly.

1. Pull out the right side accessory switch housing.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connection from the right side accessory switch

1. Unbolt the IP upper brackets. Disconnect the wiring harness from the right upper bracket.

1. Disconnect the following electrical components as necessary from the IP assembly:
    • The remote control door lock receiver, it equipped with remote keyless entry Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement in keyless Entry.
    • The IP wiring harness junction block
    • The right side courtesy lamp
    • The IP cluster lead. Unclip the component from the IP assembly
  1. Disconnect the parking brake release handle from the IP assembly.

1. Disconnect the following electrical components:
    • The active transfer case (ATC) module (1) (if equipped)
    • The fuse block from the bracket
    • The body wiring harness junction block from the bracket
    • The left side courtesy lamp

1. Remove the nuts (4) and screw (3) holding the IP assembly (IP) (2) to the IP carrier support (1).
  2. Remove the cross car duct. Refer to Air Distributor Duct Replacement in Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.

1. Remove the IP center support bracket bezel (1). IMPORTANT: Remove all of the parts of the IP carrier assembly from the vehicle as one unit.

1. Remove the IP center support bracket bolt.

1. Remove the IP carrier side bolts. The left side is shown, the right side is similar.

1. Remove the IP carrier top bolts (1).

1. Remove the IP carrier (1) from the vehicle.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.
  2. Recover the refrigerant. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging.
  3. Remove the heater/vent module. See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair
  4. Remove the heater core cover screws.
  5. Remove the heater core cover.

1. Remove the heater core.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the heater core.

1. Install the heater core cover. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install heater core cover screws.
Tighten
Tighten the screws to 1.6 Nm (14 lb in) .
  1. Install the heater/vent module.
  2. Recharge the A/C system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging.
  3. Refill the engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Last of the information. Thanks

HEATER/VENT MODULE REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

2. If equipped remove the auxiliary battery.
  3. Disconnect the heater hoses.
  4. Remove the accumulator.
  5. Remove the instrument panel carrier.
  6. Remove the HVAC module drain hose.
  7. Disconnect the electrical harnesses and the ground connections as needed.

1. Remove the mounting nuts and the screws from the HVAC module.
  2. Remove the HVAC module assembly from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. If you are replacing the HVAC module, transfer the components from the old HVAC module as necessary.
  2. Install the HVAC module assembly to the vehicle. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the mounting nuts and the screws to the HVAC module.
Tighten
  • Tighten the mounting screws to 4 N.m (35 lb in) .
  • Tighten the mounting nuts to 9 N.m (80 lb in) .

1. Connect the electrical harnesses and the ground connections.
  2. Install the HVAC module drain hose.
  3. Install the instrument panel carrier.
  4. Install the accumulator.
  5. Connect the heater hoses.
  6. Install the auxiliary battery.
  7. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
everything is great, thank you so much. Well worth the money!!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For future reference, how can I make sure I can contact you again.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
You can go to JA opening page and do a expert request. request "TRACER" I will be glad to help whenever needed. thanks