Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

how do you replace a bypass elbow heater hose

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
is it the one on the passenger side kinda under the alternator on the lower intake manifold?and it connects from the top of the waterpump to the lower intake manifold?is it in this pic?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

well i need to replace both I have a leak from both and the jobs runs about 499 dollars and would like to replace it myself

Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
ok so its the elbows in the pic i showed you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i believe so
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
ok its not bad to do yourself..here is the procedure for changing it..make sure you print it out or save it to your computer because pictures time out..and to make it easier buy the part first then you have a great visual to see what you need to do..

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir.
  4. Remove the drive belt.
  5. Remove the generator.
  6. Remove the heater hose adapters with the heater hoses from the drive belt tensioner.
  7. Remove the drive belt tensioner bolts.
  8. Remove the drive belt tensioner.
  9. If replacing the drive belt tensioner, remove the thermostat bypass upper and lower pipe assemblies.

Installation Procedure

1. If replacing the drive belt tensioner, lubricate the thermostat bypass upper and lower pipe assembly seals with engine coolant and install the upper and lower pipe assemblies.
  2. Install the drive belt tensioner. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the drive belt tensioner bolts.
    • Tighten the bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the heater hose adapters with the heater hoses to the drive belt tensioner.
  2. Install the generator.
  3. Install the drive belt.
  4. Install the coolant recovery reservoir.
  5. Fill the cooling system.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well i have taken a look at my car and i think i see one of the elbow hoses? is this located by the alternator am I looking at the right thing?
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
yes in that picture the elbow more forward slides into the lower intake manifold.and its plastic they love to crack..but to be sure ..remove the alternator and look and see if its broken..if it is you buy both elbows then follow the procedure i sent you to remove that assembly to change the elbows