Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

Replace the heater core in my 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0 Gas engine?

How do I replace the heater core in my 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0 Gas engine?
It's a good bit of work, requiring removal of the entire dash. Are you up to the task? I can provide instructions if you are, but make sure you are ready to get into this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have heard that it would be an all day job ( 7-9 hr. ) I can do basic auto repair Starters,alt.,water pumps, breaks etc. which should not be confused with a desire to do this kind of work, my biggest worry is specialized tools, am I getting into messing with my A/C, or is this going to be a lot of screws and a lot of time consuming work, but not complicated, I will pay you regardless of whether I do the work or not but in your professional opinion should I do this or take it to my mechanic?
You will have to recover the AC refrigerant and have the ability to vacuum and recharge the system. Aside from that, no special tools are required, but professionals have a wide variety of hand tools that make this job easier. I understand that you have basic mechanical ability, and I'm not really trying to steer you one way or the other on this, but I wanted you to know that this is probably not your average Saturday afternoon in the garage sort of thing, you will be elbow deep in this thing, and I want to make sure you have the confidence/ability to get it back together. Dealing with the AC alone may be enough to convince you to let a pro do it. It sort of depends on your tolerance for frustration and your pickiness about the squeaks and rattles that might remain after you've had the dash apart and put it back together.