John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

2000 Chevy: I change the door hinge pins and bushings..pin

How do I change the door hinge pins and bushings on a 2000 Chevy Silverado? The truck I have has upper and lower (4 pin style).
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

This should help you.

Front Side Door Hinge Pin and Bushing Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the door.
  2. Remove the hinge pins from the body side hinge by grinding the bottom end of the pin off and driving out the remainder of the pin using a hammer and punch.
  3. Remove the old bushings from the door side hinges.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the hinge pin bushings (1) into the door side hinges.
  2. Install the shorter hinge pin (3) into the bottom hole in the body side hinge.
  3. Install the washer supplied in the kit and a standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut onto the replacement hinge pin.
  4. Tap the shorter hinge pin (3) into the hinge as far as it will go.
  5. Tighten the 5/16 inch x 18 nut with a hand wrench, drawing the hinge pin into the hinge until the pin is fully seated.
  6. Replace the standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut with the lock nut supplied in the kit and finger tighten. Tighten the lock nuts.
  7. Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

8. Install the longer hinge pin (2) into the top hole in the body side hinge.
  9. Install the washer supplied in the kit and a standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut onto the replacement hinge pin.
  10. Tap the longer hinge pin (2) into the hinge as far as it will go.
  11. Tighten the 5/16 inch x 18 nut with a hand wrench, drawing the hinge pin into the hinge until the pin is fully seated.
  12. Replace the standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut with the lock nut supplied in the kit and finger tighten.
  13. Tighten the lock nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

14. Install the door. Lubricate the hinge pins with Goodwrench® Super Lube or equivalent.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The hindge on my truck door are not like the ones shown in your drawing. Mine are two short pins on the top and two short pins on the bottom. All four pins are pointing up. It is not a single pin in the top and another one in the bottom. How big a job is this? It looks like it is not to big a deal. Am I missing something?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Ok,here we go.Not a big job,just take your time.

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the door. Remove the hinge pins from the hinge by grinding the bottom end of the pin off and driving out the remainder of the pin using a hammer and punch.
  2. Remove the old bushings from the hinges.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the hinge pin bushings (1) into the hinges.
  2. Install the shorter hinge pin (3) into the bottom hole in the hinge.
  7. Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

8. Install the longer hinge pin (2) into the top hole in the hinge.
  13. Tighten the lock nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician