Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2001 chevrolet impala: i reset the ignition switch computer..3.8 liter

how do i reset the ignition switch computer on a 2001 chevrolet impala, 3.8 liter. I was told there are 3 computer on this car.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Here is the proper procedure and if problem still exists you have other issues such as a failed ignition switch/passlock sensor depending on the problem. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I DIDN'T GET YOUR ANSWER TO MY QUESTION..
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
I attatched the instructions in the above attatchment to do the reset procedure. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I HAD TROUBLE WITH THE OLD IGNITION SWITCH, WOULDN'T TURN TO START CAR. I PUT A NEW INGNITION SWITCH IN IT'S PLACE, THE NEW IGNITION SWITCH WORK, BUT WHEN TURN THE IGNITION TO START POSITION. IT DOESN'T WORK
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Is the security/theft light on or flashing?

So when turn the key the starter doesnt turn the engine?

Do the dash lights come on?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
YES,I ALSO HAVE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. IS THAT BECAUSE OF THE SWITCH
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Possibly but its hard to say for sure. So is the theft/security light on or flashing? Do the dash lights come on? Does the starter turn the engine at all? Answer them in order to make it more understandable for me, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
YES, THE THEFT/ SECURITY LIGHT FLASHING , THE DASH LIGHT COME ON TOO. THE STARTER DO NOT TURN ENGINE .
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Ok, then try that 30 minute relearn procedure I showed you and it should work. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HOW DO I DO THE 30 MIN. RELEARN PROCEDURE. YOUR ANSWERS ARE HARD TO UNDERSTAND. THIS IS THE FIRST ANSWER TO SHOW UP IN MY EMAIL FROM YOU, OTHER THAN THE QUESTION.

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Bump the key into the start position then leave it in the on position for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the indicator should turn off so shut the vehicle off for 5 seconds then do that same thing 2 more times for a total of 30 minutes. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DAN, MY NAME ISXXXXX TO THANK YOU VERY MUCH, IT WORKED! I RAN THE BATTERY DOWN A LITTLE, BUT IT STARTED THANK TO YOU. GOD BLESS YOU AND AS SOON AS I GET SOME MORE EMAIL ADDRESSES, I WILL SEND THEM TO YOU. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR CO-WORKER, THANKS AGAIN.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
I'm happy to hear everything is up and running. Thanks again and let me know if you need anything.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICES, I WILL BE CONTACTING YOU FOR MY EVERY NEED. THANK YOU AGAIN.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Hopefully you wont be having too many more car problems but if you do I'm hear for you. Thanks again.