Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

I have a 1993 suburban 1500 silverado, temp gauge in dash not

Customer Question

I have a 1993 suburban 1500 silverado, temp gauge in dash not working- when I key over vehicle the guage rises all the way to the right, then goes flat as the engine catches & runs- have replaced the sensor on motor with no results-& there only seems to be one fuse for the whole gauge cluster which is good.....any ideas? ALSO- I have found by putting my multimeter between positive teminal and pos battery cable with vehicle off I have a 12volt draw on the battery- how do I go about finding that draw on the battery?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
If the new sensor did not fix the temp guage and all the other gauges are okay then you either have a wiring issue or a failure of the cluster gauge itself. Next step is to remove the cluster and check continuity from the green wire to the sensor. If there is continuity there then you have a guage problem and the cluster will need to be repaired or replced. As for your draw, hook the meter between the battery and the cable, then start pulling fuses until the draw drops off. Whatever is on that circuit is the culprit. graphic