ASEMaster35yrs, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech ,chev dealer tech

98 chevy cavalier: it wont start in the cold right..15 minutes

Customer Question

i have a 98 chevy cavalier it wont start in the cold right off the bat but if i keep trying for about 15 minutes it will start but when its warm there is no problem starting it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 6 years ago.
The sensor that is mainly in play when cold is your coolant sensor. This acts like a choke does on carbureted vehicles and controls air/fuel ratio especially when cold. This sensor costs $10 at autozone. I would replace this sensor and try it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what does that have to do with the cold?

The coolant sensor tells the computer to enrich the mixture when it's colder to supply more fuel when starting. You didn't mention how cold it was when trying to start it, you may need a de-icing fuel additive during winter time. The coolant sensor doesn't always throw a code. Check for codes to be sure there isn't any other problems. Also check to make sure your fuel pressure is adequate.
Do you have any more questions I can help you with?