Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's

I have a 2000 Impala. I want to install an aftermarket stereo

I have a 2000 Impala. I want to install an aftermarket stereo however I do not want to spend 100$ on an adapter cable/wiring harness. Can I hard-wire my new head unit without an adapter and if so which wires are which? My car does not have onstar and it is not Bose, however there is a small stock amp in the trunk. There is a 24 pin and an 8 pin connecter going into the factory head unit. I had trouble finding a wiring diagram for these.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 years ago.

you can purchase a easy connector from best buy or napa or autozone they only cost about 19.99$

they snap into the factory harness and have split ends so you can hardwire your radio. actaully i found one on ebay a little more than i thought but check it out. heres the link

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am aware that they sell adapters. I was looking online for hours and they are all really expensive. The link you showed me is actually one of the cheaper ones. All I really need is a wiring diagram of what wires are what that are in the car stereo, then I should be able to just wire my head unit to the car without wasting my money on an adapter. The only thing is I am not sure if this would be ok because I would loose function of certain features the factory head unit has, for example it controls the door chime.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 years ago.

correct that is why i STRONGLY "suggest" you search ebay for these types and your bound to find a cheap one that was just a quick search i did as a example.

here is a link just find the system you have. hope this helps.