Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

battery replacement procedure 2006 trailblazer

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, when the NEG is disconnected from the battery, all codes are going to be lost. This will also, more than likely, reset the anti-theft system and the radio "loc" as well. There is a product sold at local parts stores that is "supposed" to keep the radio memory in tact while you change the battery, but its been my experience that they do not work as well as they claim, and if they do, they do not store the radio "loc" code or ANY information regarding the security system. You will need a radio code and working keyfob for your alarm when changing a battery.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have purchased an On-Board-Diagnostics II Memory Saver, but the operating instructions are contradictory. The printed instructions say to NOT plug the cigarette lighter attachment to the vehicle from which you are removing the battery, but the printed instructions on the unit itself does not have that disclaimer. If I will lose the radio code and keyfob code, will I need to take the vehicle to the Chevrolet dealer for correction?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.
From what i've dealt with on that MemSaver unit, you do plug it into the cig lighter, but like i say, it doesn't work. As for having the codes retrieved, the Dealer can usually do the radio code by using your VIN# XXXXX radio part# XXXXX the phone. There are a few Techs here that know how to do it as well, however, i do not have access to that info. As for the Alarm system- there is no "code" per say. As long as you have a working keyfob, you should be fine. Do not activate the alarm before changing the battery. When you re-connect the battery and the alarm goes off, click the keyfob, and you'll be back to normal.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK-Thanks for the help, it is appreciated!!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.
Glad I could help. Have a great day!