Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

95 suburban: It stalls when I slow..slow down..wont start..starving

Customer Question

I have a 95 suburban 5.7 It stalls when I slow down around a corner or a red light. It turns over a million times but won't start till I floor it. It seems like it's starving for fuel
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like your Idle Air Control is sticking. This is a small valve that opens and closes to keep the proper airflow into the engine for a smooth idle. It tends to close down as you drive and then should open up as you slow down to let enough air in to idle the engine. If it sticks closed, you stall. The reason it starts back up at wide open is because that is "clear flood" mode, you have too much fuel, not enough air, so opening the throttle let's it start. graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks I'll replace it when the snow squalls subside
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
Good luck, weather here was bad last week too. If you have any more questions, let me know. Thanks for using JA!