GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

1999 chevy silverado 1500: eng wont..oem..flushed..radiator fan clutch

Customer Question

i have a 1999 chevy silverado 1500 with a 350 vortec engine the heater works but the temp in the eng wont get above 150 i have replaced the thermostat with a oem 195 one i have flushed the system and replaced the radiator fan clutch and now i am at a lost any ideas
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 6 years ago.
How cold is it there?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im in texas was doing it all summer too but right now it is about 50 degrees
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 6 years ago.
the two things that come to mind is that your gauge is off, and you need to check the temp sensor. You may be at a good operating temp so check temp manualy. what else can you tel me about your coolant issue?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
temp is acutally low i already checked that and also i can tell because the computer never kicks in to tell it to stop runing richer gas through it and when i first went to change the thermostat i noticed that the coolant had broken down looked like sludge in there which is why i started flushing and cleaning the system looked to me like nobody had ever changed the coolant since 99 or they mixed the dex coolant with the green coolant
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 6 years ago.
Have you replaced the water pump recently. could you have a over performing water pump?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no havent replaced that how can i check if that is it
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 6 years ago.
You would have to get down to it and clean it off. Check the # XXXXX it. I think I am going to check the parts stores in the morning to see how many water pump aps there are for your truck. I wonder if you can get a lower flow for it.