Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

Need step by step to change 2001 c5 corvette ignition switch

need step by step to change 2001 c5 corvette ignition switch
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Hello, below are the dirctions for the switch. Does sound like switch may be bad. they have had problems. I am trying to locate the "compartment" removal info. I will send next if i locate it. Pics do time out after awhile due to copywrite. try to print if you can

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions .

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Apply the parking brake.
  3. Remove the console. Refer to Compartment Replacement - IP.
  4. Remove the IP accessory trim plate.
  5. Remove the driver knee bolster trim panel.
  6. Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder electrical connector from the retaining tab on the side of the ignition switch.

1. Disconnect the lock cylinder electrical connector. IMPORTANT: Take note of the way in which the ignition switch lock cylinder wire is wrapped around the base of the ignition switch bezel.
  2. Remove the ignition switch bezel. Carefully pull to unsnap.

1. Remove the hazard warning switch wiring harness from the ignition switch retainer.

1. Disconnect the ignition switch electrical connectors.

1. Disconnect the park/lock cable (A/T) from the ignition switch.
11.1.Insert the key into the ignition switch, then turn the ignition to ON.
11.2.Using a flat bladed screwdriver or other suitable tool, depress the park/lock cable retaining tab (located on the underside of the switch near the base of the cable).
11.3.Pull to remove the cable.

1. Remove the ignition switch retaining bolts.
  2. Remove the ignition switch.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the ignition switch into position on the ignition switch housing bracket. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the ignition switch retaining bolts. Tighten Tighten the ignition switch retaining bolts to 5.5 Nm (49 lb in) .

1. Install the park/lock cable to the ignition switch (still in the ON position). Push to secure the cable retaining tab.

1. Connect the ignition switch electrical connections.

1. Install the hazard warning switch wiring harness to the ignition switch retainer.
  2. Install the ignition switch bezel to the switch.

6.1.Wrap the ignition switch lock cylinder wire around the base of the ignition switch bezel, as noted during removal.
6.2.Align the bezel slots to the lock cylinder pins, then push to secure.
  1. Connect the lock cylinder electrical connector.

1. Install the lock cylinder electrical connector to the retaining tab on the side of the ignition switch.
  2. Install the driver knee bolster trim panel.
  3. Install the IP accessory trim plate.
  4. Install the console. Refer to Compartment Replacement - IP.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable. Tighten Tighten the negative battery cable bolt to 15Nm(11 lb ft) .
  6. Program the transmitters. Accessories and Optional Equipment/Antitheft and Alarm Systems/Service and Repair/ See: Accessories and Optional Equipment\Antitheft and Alarm Systems\Service and Repair
  7. Release the parking brake.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Console Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the folding top stowage compartment lid extension panel (convertible).
  2. Open the console door.
  3. Pull up on the rear of the electronic traction control, ride control switch (2) in order to release the retaining clips; if the switch does not release from the trim plate, perform the following steps:
    • Carefully insert a screwdriver into the recess located at the rear of the switch.
    • Gently pull up the rear of the switch.
  1. Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the switch.

1. Disconnect the LED connector (1) from the wiring harness connector (2).
  2. Remove the switch.

1. Using a small flat bladed screwdriver, carefully remove the console retaining nut covers.
  2. Remove the nuts retaining the rear of the console.
  3. Remove the nuts retaining the front of the console and the IP accessory trim plate.
  4. Lift the rear of the console slightly and pull rearward to release the front of the console from under the IP accessory trim plate.

1. Disconnect the electrical connector from the electrical accessory plug.
  2. Unscrew to remove the console electrical accessory plug retainer from the console electrical accessory plug housing.
  3. Remove the electrical accessory plug housing from the console.

1. Disconnect the electrical connector from the fuel door release, rear lift window release (export) switch.
  2. Remove the fuel door release, rear lift window release (export) switch from the console. Turn the console over and carefully insert a small flat bladed screwdriver to release the switch tabs.
  3. Remove the console from the vehicle.