Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's

2002 chevy s10: LS..four door 4X4. the rear differential went..guys

I have a 2002 chevy s10 LS four door 4X4. the rear differential went out on me last week and the mechanic that I limped to said that his salvage guys could not locate the correct rear diff anywhere. The Mechanic is in New Jersey, and I know that there are many yards in this NY metro area. Are these rearends really that hard to find? Oh, and the mechanic said he could replace it with a rear diff with a different ratio, thereby nulling my four wheel drive because they will have to diconnect it. what can I do?
you need to go to a different mechanic. these rear axles are in camaros firebirds s10's and jimmys. rarely do you need a whole axle ,if they dont know how to rebuild a ring and pinion please do yourself a favor and take it somewhere that they have technicians that are fond of this type of repair. getting a salvage one is a crap shoot. also can you tell me what is wrong because there are 30 different parts that could be faulty and i'd hate to see you spend money that you dont need to!!!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about the ratio question? does this play a major role? Plus I have a limited budget. rebuilding it would be more costly and time consuming, right? I need to get the truck back. what is the normal ratio of this vehicle?
the normal ratio should be 3.73:1 all you have to do is count the teeth on both gears and divide the smaller number into the bigger number and round up. i purchased a replacement diff for my camaro(1986 iroc!!!) for 75$ and all the bearings for another 80$ all from ebay and set it up myself. but a shop should only take 3 hrs labor to reinstall and setup all the backlash and pattern adjustments. hope this helps??????!!!!!!!!!