Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

No heat 2004 Impala, has coolant, blower works

no heat 2004 Impala, has coolant, blower works
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
I'm assuming you have poor heat? Does it colder when you turn the temp setting to the cold position? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, but barely any heat at highest setting
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Since it goes from hot to cold is a good indication the temperature door is working so it sounds like the problem is a partially clogged heater core. At this point I would disconnect the hoses going to the heater core and use a garden hose to flush them out from both directions. Also use a digtal temperature gun to make sure your engine is reaching proper temperature which should be around 200 if it is alot lower then replace the thermostat, the guage is kinda generic so it might not show if a problem is there. If everything is good up to this point you need to check for a stuck temp door and if its not stuck replace the actuator.Temperature door actuator is located behind right side of dash behind and left of blower motor housing on end of the HVAC housing. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Person at Auto Zone said there is a inlet mixing valve, dealer only part; could this also be cause of no heat? is heaster inlet valve accessible from under dash? is it intergal to heater core?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like he may have been referring to a valve that actually controls coolant flow but this vehicle does not have that. If he was talking about the actuator that controls the mix door which controls if hot or cold air comes in then he is correct and that could be the problem. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not a vacum actuator, correct? how do you check for stuck temp door?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Correct, it is electronic actuator. Once you access the actuator you can move the temp door from the hot cold position with your hand......if its all the way in the hot position and it doesnt make a different then you know the problem is in the heater core or possibly thermostat. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.