Matt J
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer

GOOD DAY, mY 4 WHEEL DRIVE IS NOT WORKING IN MY CHEVY 1500

Customer Question

GOOD DAY, mYXXXXXIS NOT WORKING IN MY CHEVY 1500 '95. I CHANGED THE ACTUATOR LAST YEAR AND WAS WORKING FINE AND THIS YEAR IT NEVER HAS ENGAGED?? i DID FIND A U JOINT WORE COMPLETELY OUT AND CHANGED BOTH U JOINTS ON THE DRIVE SHAFT FROM T CASE TO FRONT DIFF. CHECKED FUSES AND THEY ARE GOOD. SEEMS TO NOT BE ANY ELECTRIC GOING TO THE T CASE?? IS THERE SOMETHING I AM MISSING HERE?? SOLENOID ON T CASE OR TRANNY?? MAN AM I CONFUSED. PLEASE HELP ME. MY DAUGHTER WILL BE VERY HAPPY!!

THANKS,Customer!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 years ago.
is the transfer case engaging?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES IT IS ENGAGING. WHEN I TOOK THE DRIVE SHAFT OUT I HAD MY DAUGHTER ENGAGE AND DISENGAGE SO I COULD TURN THE DRIVESHAFT TO ACCESS THE BOLTS ON THE RETAINERS SO I COULD GET THE DRIVESHAFT OUT. IT WOULD NOT TURN WHILE IT WAS ENGAGED. SO I AM ASSUMING IT IS ENGAGING. THE LIGHT ON THE FLOOR SHIFTER IS NOT WORKING, IS THAT ELLING ME NO ELECTRICITY IS GOING TO T CASE??

usually that means no electicity to the actuator. Gm had a hrness update to the frt actuator... i would start by calling chevy and getting the harness update

File In Section: 4 Drive Axle

Bulletin No.: 76-43-01A

Date: September, 1998

Subject:
Slow or no Engagement of Front Axle when 4WD is selected (Replace Front Axle Actuator)

Models:
1988-97 Chevrolet and GMC K Models
excluding 1988-93 Models over 8500 # XXXXX

This bulletin is being revised to add information to the Service Procedure, add a new part number, and include schematics. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 76-43-01 (SectionXXXXXAxle).

Condition

Some owners may comment that the colder the outside temperature is, the longer it takes for the front axle to engage whenXXXXXis selected, or the front axle does not engage.

Cause

The front axle engagement actuator is a thermally activated component. Because of this characteristic, the time required for the actuator to completeXXXXXengagement is extended as the temperature drops.

Correction

Replace the front axle actuator and include the applicable wiring harness kit. Refer to the Parts Information in order to determine which wiring harness kit is needed.

1996 model trucks with a build date on or after January 2, 1996 are considered as "961". If the build date of the truck is unknown, verify the 3 character "axle code" on the front axle label in order to determine which wire harness to order.

This new actuator uses a motor to engage the front axle and is not affected by temperature. On 1988-93 models with a GVW rating over 8500$, the new actuator cannot be installed and the thermal actuator will remain the service part.

Parts Information

P/N Description Qty 26060073 Actuator Asm, Frt Drive Axle 1 22510339 Fastener 1 15313272 Harness, Jumper (Z Splice) 1 (86-93 K1-3)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

Some owners with actuators that are operating as designed (5-30 seconds engagement time) may choose to upgrade to the fast actuator at their own expense. The fast actuator is a new product enhancement and should not be used to replace actuators that are operating as designed.

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I PUT IN A BRAND NEW ACTUATOR AGAIN THIS YEAR THINKING IT WAS THE PROBLEM AND STILL NOTHING. IT HAS BEEN IN MY GARAGE FOR THREE DAYS 50+ DEGREES. SEEMS TO NOT BE GETTING ANY ELECTRIC TO DO THE JOB. SOLENOIDS OR SOMETHING?? tHE LIGHT ON THE SHIFTER DOESNT WORK EITHER WHEN SELECTING 4H OR 4L AND IT DID TILL THIS STARTED TO HAPPEN.
if the transfer case is engaging its in the wires to the frt actuator.graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK SO OUT OF ALL THE DIAGRAMS I SEE TO REPLACE TCASE SWITCH. WHERE IS IT AND DO YOU THINK THAT IS THE PROBLEM?? I AM SORRY TO BE SO STUBBORN BUT IT JUST SEEMS IT SHOULD BE SOMETHING KIND OF SIMPLE. WORKD FINE LAST YEAR.....

1. Disconnect battery ground cable, then remove console and slide shift boot up selector lever.
  2. Disconnect switch harness at indicator assembly, then remove clip and switch.
  3. Position new switch on mounting bracket and install attaching screw. Ensure shift lever assembly pawl is on switch contact carrier.
  4. Route wiring as shown.
  5. Install shift boot, console wiring harness and console, then connect battery ground cable
  6. graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NIETHER DIAGRAM IS FOR MY TRUCK. I TOOK CONSOLE OFF AND FOUND WIRES COMING UP FROM UNDER FLOOR TO THE LIGHTS / INDICATOR AND THAT WAS IT, NO SWITCH OR ELECTRIC OF ANY KIND!! ANY OTHER OPTIONS??

thats what my data shows ill opt out see if anyone else has a better idea....i still thinks its a frty actuator isue if the transfer case engages

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I REPLACED THE ACTUATOR WITH A BRAND NEW ONE THIS YEAR THINKN THE SAME THING BUT NOTHING. FLUID AN ISSUE DO I NEED TO CHECK FLUID / CHANGE FLUID?? WHAT ARE THE FUSES, RELAYS?? AM I CHECKN THE RIGHT FUSE?? MARKED T CASE 20A.
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

If you will disconnect the front drive shaft front the transfer case and leave it connected to the front diff. Engage the 4X4 and try to turn the drive shaft by hand. Does the drive shaft still turn with it connected to the front diff?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I HAVE THE DRIVELINE OUT GETTING THE UJOINTS REPLACED. WHEN I TRY THAT WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR?? WHAT SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT HAPPEN?? COULD I HAVE A BAD NEW ACTUATOR. SO DO THINK IT IS NOT AN ELECTIC PROBLEM?? i LIKE CHANGING THE ACTUATOR BUT KIND OF SPENDY....
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
This test verifies if the front diff actuator is or is not engaging. I want to make sure and not over look anything.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I AM WORKING TODAY AND WILL DO IT TONIGHT. HOW DO I GET BACK TO YOU SO WE CAN CONTINUE WITH THIS. NOW WHEN I DO THE DRIVE LINE TEST, SHOULD THE TRUCK BEIN THE ON POSITION (NOT RUNNING) BECAUSE THE ACTUATOR HAS TO HEAT UP RIGHT?? SO TURN THE DRIVELINE BY HAND, IF IT TURNS WHAT THEN ?? iF IT DOES NOT TURN THEN WHAT??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MATT WERE YOU ABLE TO ANSWER MY LAST EMAIL??
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

will be online for about 8 more hours and off and on tomorrow. Just reply back to this post and the system will send me an email to let me know.

One thing I do need to know, the front diff actuator does it have 2 wires that plug it to it or does it have a cable going to it

All test should be done with the vehicle running and in 4X4.

If the shaft does turn then the Front Diff Actuator is not working

If it does not turn then try to turn the Transfer case out put yoke that connects to the front drive shaft by hand. If it does not turn then 4X4 should be working, If it does turn then let me know and we will go from there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IT IS A WIRE CONNECTOR WITH TWO WIRES COMING OUT OF THE PLUG. THIS IS WIERD BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE ELECTRICAL, NOT MECHANICAL. i WILL TRY THIS STUFF TONIGHT AND GET BACK TO YOU TOMORROW. MAN I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN SOMETHING REAL OBVIOUS THAT I WAS JUST OVERLOOKING ELECTRICALLY. TCASE SWITCH UNDER CONSOLE?? I OOKED THERE BUT THERE WERE ONLY TWO WIRES COMING UP FROM UNDERFLOOR TO CONNECT TO THE TWO LIGHTS FOR INDICATION OF BEING IN 4WHEEL DRIVE WHICH ARE NOT LIGHTING UP!!
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
When you shift it into 4X4 the 4X4 lights are not lighting up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO NOT AT ALL, SEEMS TO BE GETTING NO ELECTRIC TO THE CONSOLE AT ALL
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

I missed that info when I was looking over everything that had been done.

That changes things so at this time disregard the test I wanted you to do.

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES, AND I KNOW HOW TO USE IT!!
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay the system went down and I lost everything I typed in

You problem should be the Transfer Case Switch. Look on the Transfer Case for a switch that has 3 wires that go to it. Light Blue, Dark Blue, and Brown.

Unplug the connector, take 3 pieces of wire, and incert them in the wire connector slots. Then twist the wires together so all 3 wires are hooked to each other. Now see if the 4X4 works. If it does then the switch is bad.

The switch cost about $15

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I TOOK THAT OFF AND IT LOOKED LIKE NOTHING BUT A SENSOR. IT SEEMED TO ONLY HAVE TWO WIRES. MAYBE I GOT THE WRONG THING OFF. THIS WAS ON THE SIDE OF T CASE AND IT LOOKED LIKE IT WAS IN FLUID. NOW THAT I HAVE THE DRIVE LINE OUT I CAN PROBABLY GET TO IT. IT IS ON TOP OF TCASE?? THIS IS WHAT FEEDS THE ACTUATOR AND THE LIGHTS ON THE CONSOLE?? I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE WITH ME, THIS IS JUST SO FRUSTRATING.
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

I also meant to add in make sure the GAUGES 10 Amp fuse is no blown.

What really make this difficult on my end is there are 3 transfer cases and 3 wiring diagrams. none of them tell me which is which, and I cant see your vehicle to verify which transfer case is in it. I know it is not the Auto push button since you stated you have a shifter, so that leave 2 left.

This sensor will be right next to the front drive shaft on the Transfer Case.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANKS ALOT!! I THINK WE ARE ON TO SOMETHING.... I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TOMORROW!! SO THIS IS ON TOP OF T CASE NOT ON THE SIDE. I HAVE LOOKED AT ALL FUSES AND RELAYS AND HAVE FOUND NOTHING BLOWN. DOES THIS SWITCH GO OUT OFTEN?? NOONE EVER SUGGESTED THIS AFTER ALL THIS!!!
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

If the sensor is there and has 3 wires going to it, then yes that should be the problem.

The sensor allows power to go to the actuator and the bulbs when it is shifted into 4X4.

No one suggested it because they went looking at the correct wire diagram.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YOUR THE MAN. I WILL LET YOU KNOW. HOW WILL I LET YOU PERSONALLY KNOW THAT THAT WAS IT?? YOU HAVE BEEN SUCH A HELP FOR ME I WANT YOU TO KNOW IF THIS IS IT??
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
Just reply back to this post once you find out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
K, THANKS AGAIN FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME. I ALWAYS SUGGEST TO MY FRIENDS TO ASK YOU GUYS BEFORE DIVING INTO ANYTHING. YOUR AWESOME!! THANKS AGAIN. XXXXX WORKS....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, TRIED THE SWITCH AND STILL NOTHING, PLEASE HELP.
Expert:  KMP1171 replied 4 years ago.
Hello I am Kevin. I may be able to help here. But Please if I do help. And you are satisfied and ACCEPT. PLease Do the ACCEPT in one of the answers given to you from matt. He has put the time in and is 100% acurate in the testing procedures.;. First I have a couple questions. anwith answers to those questions. 1. You stated that you have replaced actuator . BUT did you also replace the updated pigtail harness.? If yes then good. But if NO you need to replace harness.. 2 And I only ask this question because I have seeit multiple times. What makes you feel the 4x4 isnt engaging? Is it because the there is no light when you engage shifter? If that is the reason. Perform test go to a parking lot shift into 4 HI the drive in a circle. Do you feel it binding . as you are turning sharply ? If yes then 4x4 is working and you just have a blown bulb. I have seen this alot. If there is another reason that akes you think it isnt working what is it?. Becasue you have a manul T-case. Which I prefer . There are onjly a few things. That can be causing 4x4 not to engage.. I am sending this as an info request not as an answer. If it helps please ACCEPto Matt. Our job is to take care of Customers.ANd I hope we have.

Thank you
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay I was off line on Sunday.

Go to the switch I have you look at, with the key in the on position check and see if you have power at the Brown wire.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will check it out. if pwer then what?? If no power then what??
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

If no power then check the 4WD fuse see if the fuse is blown and also test to see if you have power there. If you have power there then you have a open in the wire. If no power then Let me know and I will trace down the power source. Make sure these test are done with the key on.

If there is power and the switch is good then you have a open in the Light Blue wire or a internal problem inside the transfer case.

Edited by Matt J on 12/21/2009 at 7:42 PM EST
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience: 10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, I have changed the front diff switch, the front actuator, the transfer cas switch and still nothing. I have the vehicle on jack stands and when I engage 4wd the front drive shaft turns fine just no front axle engagement. I am getting no electric to the console or the actuator. On my fuse box there is a number 2 slot for tcase fuse but there is nothing in the slot to put a fuse into. Could it have gotten knocked out somehow?? I am thinking this may be my problem!! Can you show me a wire diagram for this vehicle so I can see what the fuse box shows for 4wd fuses, at this time I only have 2 fuses to check, 14 and 24
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Fuse #24 is the fuse for theXXXXXfront actuator. This fuse should have power when the key is in the ON position. Here is the Fuse block lay out and wire diagram.

graphic

graphic

Matt J, Chevy Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Matt I have power there at the 24 fuse. With key in on position, not running. I tested the 14 fuse and the test light barely lit up very dim hardly on. Is the new wiring harness going to cure this?? I have power at the actuator fuse but then what
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
was anyone able to respond to my reply??
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, I am in the middle of rebuilding a trans in a Cadilliac.

Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, could the new wiring harness fix all this?? I am confused as to how can there be power to the actuator fuse and then no where else. The drive shaft turns great when in 4wd but no actuator action. New wiring harness??
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Go to the Transfer Case Switch unplug it, put the vehicle in 4X4 and test the Brown wire for power with the test light. Does the test light light up? (All Test Should Be Done With the Key ON and In 4X4.)

If yes then plug it back in and probe the Light Blue wire. Does the test light light up?

If yes then to front diff actuator, leave the vehicle in 4X4 and test the Light Blue wire for power. Does the test light light up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok I'll try all this. What if?? Could I have abad new transfer case switch?? You reefered once to a transfer case sensor. Is that the same as the switch??
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Yes it is the same switch. Now that the switch did not fix it like I thought it would we need to do some test to find out where power is geting to. I don't think the new switch is bad, but it can happen.

Do the test and let me know if you have power at all of these places. If you do then we will move to the next steps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. Thanks for being patient with me. I know I can fix this problem I just do not understand why all of a sudden this year the 4wd dont work. I have to be gettn close. The new wiring harness is $300 and I do not have that kind of money now to replace it.. I dont think that is the problem
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
No problem. I will be here for you until we find the cause. There is no reason to get a $300 wire harness since we do not know the cause yet. There are only 3 parts it could be or an open in the wires. With these test we will get closer to the cause.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok I tried your 3 wire insert test into plug. The console lit the heck up. Light blue wire has no power at switch, brown wire has power!! Man Im feeling good now... so now what??
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Leave the Transfer Case Switch Plugged in and put the it in 4X4.

Go to front diff actuator, unplug the connector and test the Light Blue wire for power. Does the test light light up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the light blue wire has no power.
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
The Blue Wire at the Actuator on the Front Diff has no power?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, there is no power in the blue wire on the front diff.
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
Go back to the Tranfer Case Switch, leave it plugged in with the vehicle in 4X4, and problem the Light Blue wire does it have power at the Transfer Case Switch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Matt I got it!!!! You wont believe this, There was a rubber o ring on the transfer switch. Took it off reinstalled the switch and walla!!!!!!!! Thanks for your help!!!!! If it wasnt for the wiring test I would not have known the light blue had no power so it had to be something with the switch. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Bonuses deserved here!!!
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
Great you found the problem. I knew it had to be in that area since things wern't adding up after the switch.
Matt J, Chevy Technician