Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician

2001 silverado ac always on and no heat

2001 silverado ac always on and no heat
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Is this the digital controls for the HVAC system or is this the manual temperature lever unit?

What is the temp guage reading on the cluster?

With the truck warmed up, feel the heater hoses going to the cab and see if both of them is hot?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
manual controls, 140 or so idling, not with the truck til tommorrow for the rest , any thoughts now , thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
The temperature guage on the cluster should get up around 190 degrees and stay there. If not, the thermostat could be bad.
Also check the drivers side vents and the passenger side vents to see if the temperature feels the same or different?
ALso check the coolant level to make sure its full.
We see a lot of temperature control actuators go bad in these trucks but want to see what we have first before making a guess on what is wrong.
Check these and post the results here and I will get back to you as soon as possibile.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks alot I do know that the temp feels the same on both sides , cold , the ac pump is constantly on . the truck runs great and gets regular services so I will post back other questions tomorrow so we can get er warm again.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Ok let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
heater hoses to fire wall are hot the temp is around 190 and stays there
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Is this a dual temperature controls ( drivers and passenger seperate controls) or just one temp control?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one temp control
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like a faulty temperature actuator. The temperature actuator is on the bottom of the heater case in the center of the vehicle. It is #4 in the picture below. You can get to it from the passenger side. It has 2 screws with 5.5mm head screws in it.