Matt J
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer
14582819

2000 Corvette: turn signal flasher unit located

Customer Question

Where is the turn signal flasher unit located in a 2000 Corvette and how do I get to it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

The Turn Signal Flasher is part of the Hazard Switch. to get to it you may only need to remove the radio and fish your hand up to it. If not then you will need to follow all the insturctions below.

Object Number: 631175  Size: SH

• Remove the folding top stowage compartment lid extension panel (convertible).
  • Open the console door.
  • Pull up on the rear of the electronic traction control, ride control switch (2) in order to release the retaining clips; if the switch does not release from the trim plate, perform the following steps:
    - Carefully insert a screwdriver into the recess located at the rear of the switch.
    - Gently pull up the rear of the switch.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the switch.
    Object Number: 631216  Size: SH

• Disconnect the LED connector (1) from the wiring harness connector (2).
  • Remove the switch.
    Object Number: 95703  Size: SH

• Using a small flat bladed screwdriver, carefully remove the console retaining nut covers.
  • Remove the nuts retaining the rear of the console.
  • Remove the nuts retaining the front of the console and the IP accessory trim plate.
  • Lift the rear of the console slightly and pull rearward to release the front of the console from under the IP accessory trim plate.
    Object Number: 95719  Size: SH

• Disconnect the electrical connector from the electrical accessory plug.
  • Unscrew to remove the console electrical accessory plug retainer from the console electrical accessory plug housing.
  • Remove the electrical accessory plug housing from the console.
    Object Number: 95713  Size: SH

• Disconnect the electrical connector from the fuel door release, rear lift window release (export) switch.
  • Remove the fuel door release, rear lift window release (export) switch from the console. Turn the console over and carefully insert a small flat bladed screwdriver to release the switch tabs.
  • Remove the console from the vehicle.
  • Object Number: 180586  Size: SH

• Apply the parking brake for additional clearance around the parking brake lever.
  • Shift the transmission into SECOND (A/T), or FOURTH (M/T).
  • Grasp the shift control boot (M/T) and apply light pressure in toward the shift control lever, to begin to release the shift boot retaining tabs from the instrument panel (IP) accessory trim plate.
  • Using light pressure, continue to release the remaining boot retaining tabs, then lift the boot away from the trim plate.
    Object Number: 95706  Size: SH

• Open the cigar lighter door and remove the ashtray.
  • Remove the IP accessory trim plate grille. Pry gently at the side edge with a flat-bladed screwdriver to release the tab.
    Object Number: 95705  Size: SH

• Remove the accessory trim plate retaining screws next to the cigar lighter and behind the ashtray.
  • Remove the accessory trim plate retaining screw in the grille opening.
    Object Number: 183235  Size: SH

• Grasp the sides of the accessory trim plate near the curve at the base.
  • Pull the trim plate rearward to release the locking tabs. Lift the rear of the trim plate to clear the driveline tunnel studs.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector from the cigar lighter.
    Object Number: 183234  Size: SH

• Rotate the shift control boot (M/T) and reposition one end down into the shifter opening in the trim plate.
  • Lift the accessory trim plate over the shifter (and shift control boot, M/T), and remove the trim plate.
  • Object Number: 158135  Size: SH

• Remove the fog lamp, rear compartment lid release switch.
    3.1. Pry carefully at the lower edge of the switch to release the locking tab.
    3.2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the switch.

Object Number: 95692  Size: SH

• Remove the driver knee bolster trim panel retaining screw behind the fog lamp, rear compartment lid release switch.
  • Remove the driver knee bolster trim panel lower retaining screws.
  • Grasp the trim panel at the side edges.
  • Pull firmly rearward to release the locking tabs.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector from the inside air temperature sensor, if equipped.
  • Remove the trim panel.
  • Object Number: 636341  Size: SH

• Open the instrument panel (I/P) passenger compartment door.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector from the I/P compartment lamp switch.
  • Remove the trim plugs from the bottom of the compartment door.

Reach behind the compartment door and push the plugs out. Use a suitable flat bladed tool on the front side to remove the plugs, if necessary.

• Remove the lower retaining bolts from the I/P compartment.
  • Remove the side and upper retaining screws from the I/P compartment.
    Object Number: 636321  Size: SH

• Slowly pull the I/P compartment just enough to disconnect the wiring harness connector from the inflatable restraint module switch.
  • Remove the I/P compartment.
  • Object Number: 64706  Size: SH

• Release and lift the windshield defroster grille from the I/P upper trim pad.
    1. Insert two small flat bladed screwdrivers, or other suitable tools, close to each other between the rear edge of the defroster grille and the upper trim pad near one corner of the grille.
    2. Begin to CAREFULLY pry the grille up from the trim pad.
    3. Work the screwdrivers gradually to the other corner of the grille while continuing to CAREFULLY pry the grille up.
  • Lift the grille to access the DRL sensor and the sunload sensor, if equipped.
  • Rotate to release the DRL sensor from the grille, if equipped.
    Object Number: 95701  Size: SH

• Rotate to release the sunload sensor from the grille, if equipped.
  • Insert the DRL and sunload sensors, if equipped, into the nearest openings in the windshield defroster duct.

Moving the sensors into the defroster duct provides additional clearance to remove the trim pad.

• Remove the windshield side garnish moldings. Refer to Windshield Side Garnish Molding Replacement in Stationary Windows.
  • Remove the screws retaining the upper trim pad to the defroster duct.
  • Remove the screws retaining the upper trim pad to the LH and RH hinge pillars.
    Object Number: 95697  Size: SH

• Remove the screws retaining the IP cluster bezel to the upper trim pad.
  • Remove the screws retaining the upper trim pad to the driver knee bolster outer bracket and the center support bracket.
  • Remove the screw retaining the upper trim pad to the passenger SIR bracket.
    Object Number: 183226  Size: SH

• Tilt the steering wheel to the lowest position.
  • Lift the rearward edge of the upper trim pad approximately 5 cm (2 in) to provide clearance for the air distribution duct located on the underside of the trim pad.
  • SLOWLY pull the upper trim pad away from the windshield while guiding the tabs on the LH and RH side of the trim pad past the hinge pillars.
    Object Number: 95707  Size: SH

• Disconnect the hazard warning switch electrical connector.
  • Remove the upper trim pad from the vehicle.
  • Object Number: 183220  Size: SH

• Remove the air distribution duct and the center air outlet from the I/P upper trim pad. Refer to Air Outlet Replacement - Center in HVAC.
  • Remove the hazard warning switch from the center air outlet. CAREFULLY release the switch retaining tabs from the rear of the air outlet, then pull to remove the switch. The hazard warning switch button will release from the switch.