Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

2000 z71 silverado when I select 4wd the light on the switch..engage

2000 z71 silverado
when I select 4wd the light on the switch continually flashes and the 4wd does n ot seem to engage
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 7 years ago.
This probably has a faulty encoder motor on the transfer case. This is the motor that actually performs the shift. Are you mechanically inclined or want to try diagnosing this yourself, or are you just curious about what might be wrong with it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am curious....when the motor is idling and I shift from 2wd to 4wd there is a draw down on the power
Yes, that's a good clue. That's the motor trying to shift, but it's apparently unable to do so. It's a powerful motor, and it draws some amperage when it shifts. I'd say based on that information, you almost certainly have a faulty encoder motor. This is about a $400-$500 fix at the shop. This system has a small computer and stores information, a mechanic can plug his scan tool in and recover codes, test operation, etc. Easy to diagnose with the right tools and knowledge, but it sounds like a garden variety encoder failure. By far, the most common failure on these systems.