Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
16282319

Chevy impala: wont come..park and the steering just wont lock in place

Customer Question

my 07 chevy impala wont come out of park and the steering just wont lock in place
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank for your question! I have not had much trouble with th Impala doing this. I did find this bulletin I wanted you to see. This may help you fix this problem. Thanks Ken

Subject:EI08045 - Key Cannot Be Removed from Ignition with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot Be Moved from Park Position (Repair/Reroute Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid Harness)

Models:2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala

Condition

Some customers may comment on either of the following conditions:

The key cannot be removed from the ignition.

The transmission gear selector (shifter) cannot be moved out of the PARK position.

Cause

This condition may be caused by an incorrectly routed brake transmission shift interlock (BTSI) solenoid harness which can make it difficult to install. In some instances, the wiring looms are tangled, causing stress on the wires in the connector at the BTSI. If the BTSI harness is routed incorrectly, it may also result in a wire pinching issue.

Correction

Important: DO NOT use force to move the gear selector (shifter). Using force may cause damage to the BTSI.

Inspection/Routing and Repair of the BTSI Wiring Harness/Connector

1. Check for wire damage at the BTSI connector terminal ends. Refer to SI for repair procedures.
  2. For very intermittent issues, check the BTSI wire harness individual circuits for broken or crimped wires. Refer to SI for repair procedures.
  3. BTSI Wiring Harness Incorrectly Routed

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Inspect the routing of the wiring harness leading to the BTSI connector. The illustrations above show the BTSI harness routed incorrectly.
  5. BTSI Wiring Harness Routed Correctly

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

6. Reroute the wiring to create available slack and avoid future occurrences.
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.
I should have given you more information. this is under the center console. You will need to pull that up and have a look. Ken
Console Shift Lever Bezel Replacement
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

1

Console Shift Lever Bezel Assembly

Tip

1. Block the drive wheels.
  2. Move shift lever to the neutral position.
  3. Use a flat-bladed plastic trim tool to aid in the removal of the shift bezel.
  4. For console removal and shift lock actuator access, use ONLY a plastic trim tool to lift the trim bezel from the console. Do not use any tool between the trim bezel and the shifter.
  5. Apply the park brake and shift lever rearward. The sound deadener must be reinstalled if the wire harness is removed or replaced.

2

Retainer Clips (Qty: 4)

Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.
Front Floor Console Replacement (Impala)
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Notice: To prevent component damage, DO NOT use metal tools to remove the trim.

Preliminary Procedure

1. Remove the front floor console bin liner.
  2. Remove the console shift lever bezel.
  3. Tip
    Use ONLY a plastic trim tool to lift the shift lever bezel from the console. Do not use any tool between the trim bezel and the shifter.
    Apply the park brake and shift lever rearward. The sound deadener must be reinstalled if the wire harness is removed or replaced.

1

Front Floor Console Bolts (Qty: 6)

Tighten
7 N·m (62 lb in)

2

Front Floor Console Assembly

Tip
Disconnect the electrical connector.

Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.
Is this a floor shifter or column shifter. ken