Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

S10: right rear..Ive replaced the bulb, the flasher..hood

Customer Question

My right rear turn signal on my 03 s10 is not working. Ive replaced the bulb, the flasher, and checked continuity between the socket and where the wire ends at the fuse box under the hood. What else should i be checking?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Does the right rear brake light work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no its not working either
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

Does the 4 way hazard flasher work at the right rear?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
With the right turn signal on, check for power at the dark green wire at the taillight connector, then check for power at the dark green wire coming down the column from the turn signal switch. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im not getting any voltage at the light or at the switch, how ever when i test the yellow wire at the switch ( left turn signal) i am getting twelve volts
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had to leave my computer I'm on my phone npw hopefully we can still communicate

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
anybody there ?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, had to take a break. If there is no power coming out of the turn signal switch on the dark green wire, the turn signal switch is bad and needs to be replaced. The left side (yellow wire) uses the same inputs so we know those are good and the problem is in the contacts within the turn signal switch.,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so the switch shares a common input and then has four seperate outputs that go to each light. If the switch is bad then why would the rear light work when i hit the hazard switch. Would the bad turn signal switch also cause that right rear brake light not to work.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The turn signal switch has to carry the current for the brake lights since they use the same bulb and wiring. This is how you are able to have one turn signal flashing while the other side is lit up solid when the brakes are applied. So the turn signal switch is responsible for all of the functions: turn, brake, and 4 way flasher.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
gotcha, im gonna give this a try either tonight or tommorrow and ill accept the answer at that time, i just want to verify it before i pay. Thanks for the help!
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
No problem. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
gotcha thanks man
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so i tried the switch and still it is not working, any other suggestions
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Do you have power coming out of the switch on the dark green wire now?