PS the truck has 107,000 miles.
I have been out of town and finally can get back to the truck problem. I am sorry for the delay.
I just pulled the instrument cluster and also spoke with the local dealer. I have a few questions for you.
1. Do I test the cluster with the ignition on?
2. Why does your diagram indicate testing the wire harness and not the cluster? It seems that by testing with a volt meter the wire harness could be good and the cluster still be bad.
3. How do I "...hook the red lead to the battery positive"? Where is the battery positive?
4. In the diagram, what are the A1 and B1 for?
5. The dealer parts department says the clusters go bad and it is common. They also said I need to have the service department program the new cluster. Is this true? If, so, it doesn't sound like I can replace it myself. I probably don't have the equipment. Your thoughts??
I really appreciate your help.