GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM

My 2008 Silverado remote start quit working at the same time

Customer Question

My 2008 Silverado remote start quit working at the same time as my engine light came on. The codes are for both banks of O2 sensors and the vehicle only has 40 thousand miles on it. I think it has to be a fuse or relay or something like that. But I can't find out which fuse the remote starter works off of or the Oxygen sensors. Which fuses should I check?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 6 years ago.
Hello! Do you have the code numbers handy?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't have the code numbers right now... but I do remember they were codes with both banks of O2 sensors and relays. There was not a code triggered for the remote starter but it stopped working at the same time. The remote starter button... when pressed will light up the turn signals and tail lights as if it's going to start but then nothing happens.

I might have the codes in the truck but I can't get to them right now. (at work) Sorry.

Here is the deal:

There is nothing wrong with your remote start. The system is disabled due to the Engine Light being illuminated. Get the engine light fixed and remote start will start working again.

As for the O2 sensor codes, there are 4 sensors total, and they can set a variety of codes based on what may be wrong, so knowing exactly what code is set is vital.

However, also take note, that your vehicle has the 5 year, 100,000 mile Powertrain warranty, so regardless of what code is set, it should be covered and repaired at not cost.

However, if you can locate the codes and want to post them, I'd be happy to investigate it further for you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can I have Onstar send you the codes somehow?

I live inconveiniently far from a chevy dealership for service... If it was as simple as a fuse bad or something I could handle that easily... if I knew what it was. If it is a difficult repair then I will take it to a shop, but that will be hard for me.

OnStar can't send the codes to me. They can either tell you when you contact them, or you might be able to request a diagnostic sent to your email.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I got the codes from Onstar... as follows

OK, thats a huge help. Those codes indicate a problem with both rear Oxygen Sensors, and they both share the same fuse in the underhood fuse box: O2-B SNSR

Check to see if this fuse is blown. If it is, before you replace the fuse, you need to check the wiring going to the sensors. Its common (if your truck is a 4WD model) for the Oxygen sensor wiring to rub on the front driveshaft and short out. If one sensor shorts, it blows the fuse for both sensors on that circuit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. It is 4WD and I will check the wiring! In my owners manual the Underhood fuse box shows fuses #8 and #18 as Oxygen Sensors... would those be the ones you refer to?
Of all the codes you posted, they only isolate two of the sensors, and they are both powered up by fuse #8. There should be a wire harness that runs next to the fuel lines and goes over the front driveshaft. It is most likely laying on top of the driveshaft and rubbed through.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Fuse #8 is indeed blown... but it's too dark (and cold here) for me to check the wiring today. I will check it tomorow! Great Call! Thanks very much!

No problem! Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Otherwise, good luck and happy holidays!