Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
12642649

Chevy: 2004) is making a vibration noise coming from underneath

my chevy venture(2004) is making a vibration noise coming from underneath. Also, it only does it when driving on city streets going 35-45
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Hello <a href="http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=21166867&FID=26"Customer

Is it a growling type noise?

Does the noise change when your driving and you weave back and forth or around a sharp curve?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, the noise is not there when we are on the highway, just driving through towns at posted speed limits. Howeevr, if the noise starts and we give it more gas or accerlation it goes away too.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Is it a growling type noise?
Does it do it with the gear lever in 3 instead of D?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no gear lever is in D, noise goes away when you let off the gas or accelerate, also when on high way no noise going over 50 mph
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
I have changed many wheel bearings on these for noises and had to replace one on my Venture van with it making noise at the slower speeds. But I have also seen noises out of the final drives in the transmissions. Hard to pinpoint sometimes from transmission final drive noises to wheel bearing noises.
What we do at the shop is to see if it makes noise on a lift so we can get a better idea of where the noise comes from. Sometimes I will replace a wheel bearing and then drive it and if the noise is still there, I put the wheel bearing I took off and put that on the other side to see if the noise change or goes away.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
convertor and solenoid was just recently replaced and ever since this problem has occured
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
I also Have had wheel bearings go bad when i replaced a transmission due to having everything off.
If it make the noise on a lift, it will help pinpoint the source of the noise.
You can try driving in "3" instead of "d" while intown and see if the noise changes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is the price for the part and to replace it usually cost?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
If it is a wheel bearing, The dealer sells the part for around $300. and an aftermarket is around $100. labor pays around an hour and shops charges 60-100 per hour.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If it is the tranny, what could that be, and how much? This the last question I promise
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
That is hard to give an estamite on. Have to pull the tranny and disassamble to price out.