Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

2000 chevy silverado 1500: o2 sensors..check engine light..replacing

Customer Question

Where are the o2 sensors on a 2000 Chev Silverado 1500? Are they easy to replace? Will the check engine light just go off by replacing the sensors, assuming that is the problem, or does the computer have to be reset? If the computer needs to be reset, then can just anyone do it?

I have had employess of different auto parts stores tell me conflicting info, so I may just take it in and pay the price.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

The Oxygen Sensors are an easy fix, very much something you can do yourself. To reset the computer, you can remove the "NEG" cable from the battery for 5min. Make sure you have a working keyfob for the alarm, and a radio code (if equipped) as these systems also reset by using this method.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Perfect. Thank you! The only other question would be is: the vehicle was made in Canada. Does that change anything?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.
Nope. No difference. Just order the Sensor from the part store by which bank and which sensor you need (ie- Bank 1 Sensor 2) and the parts store will provide you with the correct one. I suggest a "better" quality one like Bosch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, thanks again! Oh and what does keyfob mean? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.
The keyfob is the little black box used to turn your alarm on/off
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. That's what I thought but never knew the term. Have a good one!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.
Glad I could help. Have a great day.