hauto, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Work on all makes and modles, in my own shop 15 years hands on experince

I have a 2002 chevy silverado 1500 and my service engine soon

I have a 2002 chevy silverado 1500 and my service engine soon light came on what could be the reason or reasons for that? It sounds normal and is not running rough. I do keep up on my routine maintance.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.

Hello, the check engine light is triggered by the engine control module when it see a malfunction with the input or out put senors of the engine management system or emissions. depending on the fault the engine will probably run good, and the module has to be scan to pull the fault codes( Dtc's) to point the area of trouble and then diagnosed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how serious is this should i take it in right away and do i have to go to the dealer
Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.

The dealer is an option but they will charge you lots for diagnostics. See if you can find a trusted repair shop close by. As far as serious if the engine is running ok now then it

can't be serious. But it should be diagnosed it may eventually effect the way the engine runs or fuel economy.