Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
12642649

2005 4x4 avalanche transfer case dosnt shift into 4wheel drive

2005 4x4 avalanche transfer case dosn't shift into 4wheel drive with auto or 4 high or 4 low buttons. Is there some place to get a manual on this unit for free
Hello <a href="http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=27843650&FID=26"Customer

Does the service 4wd light come on? What does the lights on the switch do when you select a gear?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The service light was on and the push button light would flash. Light is now off and I have it in the auto mode but dosn't haveXXXXXyet. Only spins the back wheels
When in 4hi mode does the light on the 4hi button is on solid?

Does the service light come on when you select a different gear?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dan I just back from trying auto / 4 high and 4 low they all worked right now. We just had a snow storm of 12" and I tried all the things I just did shifting to N and R and drive many times and couldn't get it to work at all. What do you want me to do next?
Ok We have a lot of issues with the sensor in the motor on the transfer cases going bad. What we need to do next is to get the codes checked in the transfer case module to see what code has set. It should store a code for the next 40 key cycles. You need a scan tool to check code in this module. Most code readers just check engine module codes. We need the codes read in the transfer case module. Call the local auto part stores to see if they can check these codes. If they can, they do it for free. Try to get the code # XXXXX I can assist you futher.