Mr_Wrench
Mr_Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  24yr gm Drivability & Electrical
11979730

My 2006 Impala wont shift out of park. The button on the

My 2006 Impala won't shift out of park. The button on the center console won't depress even though I have my foot on the brake. I'm parked on a slight incline. I tried per the owners manual to put the key to accessory position then shift to neutral. The shift lever button still won't depress and I can't move the stick.
Hello! If you start the car and push on the brake pedal can you hear a click each time you push down onthe brake? Try pumping the brake pedal rapidly several times to make the switch release

Edited by Mr_Wrench on 12/11/2009 at 3:39 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is no click when I press the brake.

I just now tried press the brake rapidly several times but still no click and it still won't shift out of park.

The brake switch controls the solinoid that unlocks the shifter, Do the brake lights work?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just checked. Yes, the brake lights work.
Well there is a solenoid on the shifter down inside the console that locks the shifter, The brake switch controls the power to the solenoid, You have to take the center console apart to get to it, I have had to replace the whole shifter assy for this problem and I have found broken wires at the solenoid. I don't know if you have the tools to take this apart or not.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. I'm probably not able to do what you describe, but it does sound like that could be the problem. I'll have to have it towed and fixed but will print this exchange to help the mechanic diagnose. Thanks for the help. I will authorize the payment.
Thanks !

Edited by Mr_Wrench on 12/11/2009 at 4:08 AM EST