BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Heater on my 2001 Silverado Z71 is not getting hot.

Customer Question

Heater on my 2001 Silverado Z71 is not getting hot. Changed the thermostst and it didn't help. What could be causing the heater to not get hot enough? (sometimes get gets a little warm)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer you need to start by checking the heater lines going from the engine into the firewall. They should both be hot when the engine is warmed up. If one of them is not as hot as the other then you may have a clogged heater core. If both lines are very hot then you more than likely have an actuator issue with the HVAC system.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I unclog the heater core?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
You would pull the lines off of the heater core and used pressurized water, such as a garden hose, at one end of the heater core which will blow out the build up inside.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked the hoses and they were both hot, so do you think it could be the actuator issue with the HVAC system. How do I fix it?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
If both hoses were hot then it is more than likely the temperature actuator. It may be the control unit, but on this vehicle it is usually the actuator. Do you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes....was wanting to try
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
Okay. The air temperature actuator is located under the dash as shown. Remove and see if there is any movement on it when you change the temp. If not then you need to check the connector for power to see if the module is commanding it to move. If it is then the actuator is bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As shown where?

Didn't see any file that you had sent.

Also I drove the truck last night and the heat gets a little warm. Didn't know if that information would help.

Please Advise and thanks for all your help.

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
The actuator does not seem to be moving properly. SOrry the picture did not come up.

graphic
#9
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just making sure......Which one of these is thr actuator I am replacing?

Is the actuator under dash or is in the dash? I see the box under the cover under the dash but not sure if that is what you are talking about. What number is XXXXX on the first drawing?

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
It is number 9 in the first picture.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What kind of screws are holding this in place?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
Most of the time these are torx head screws.