stin1974
stin1974, Transmission Tech
Experience:  Chevy Transmission Tech

My 2000 Chevy S10 (V6 4x4) is having 4 Wheel Drive issues.

My 2000 Chevy S10 (V6 4x4) is havingXXXXXissues. It wont engage into 4x4HI or 4x4LOW. When I hit the 4x4Hi button on the dash, the light comes on.. and I hear a faint click in the passanger kick panel, where the TCCM is. The 4x4HI light will stay on but theXXXXXdoes not work. When I click it into 4x4LOW from Park, the 4x4LOW light will blink.. then stay light.. but will also not engage (truck will stay in low gear.. but no 4x4). Cant think of any other info to share... can anynoe help diagnose my problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  stin1974 replied 4 years ago.
Have you pulled the passenger side kick panel and inspected the 4X4 controll module plug? They had a problem with the wires and plug corroding. Ive seen this a few times. Being that you are hearing that clicking there thats what is leading me to this. I would suggest pulling the passanger side kick panel and inspecting the wires , plug, module for corrosion. You will have to make the proper repairs. Its a little easier if you pull the module from the frame to acess and inspect all of this. Ive seen this a few times and am thinking this is most likely your problem by what you described. The pictures dont seem to be showing up but from what you stated you know where it is.

Edited by stin1974 on 12/10/2009 at 3:57 PM EST
stin1974, Transmission Tech
Experience: Chevy Transmission Tech
Expert:  stin1974 replied 4 years ago.
You must hit accept for me to get credit if you find this was helpful. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the response. The pics arent showing up, but yes, I know where it is. I havent inspected the module yet.. but that is where I was going to start. I have heard on a few forums that there is a good chance for corrosion.... However, being that I heard the clicking sound when I pushed the 4x4 button (as normal), I thought that mean the module was working.. and it might be a different issue. Say the TCCM checks out okay, could it be the motor (not sure what it is called-- transfer case motor?) that kicks theXXXXXin at the tranfer case? I dont know exactly what that looks like or where it is- but I'm thinking it shouldnt be hard to find.

Anything else to look for if it isnt corrosion on that module?

Expert:  stin1974 replied 4 years ago.
Ok well you have checked the fuses so they are good. If you dont find that corrosion then I would suspect the 4x4 actuator. Its located on the front differential and you will see the wires going to it. You can remove the plug and see if you are getting power to it. If you are and its not moving in and out then that is probably going to be your problem. Those are the two most common causes and I would think that its one or the other. I just figured the corrosion thing because that was sort of a common problem. If not there then I would suspect the actuator as long as you are getting power to it.