Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I need to install my driverside window in my 1981 chevrolet

Customer Question

I need to install my driverside window in my 1981 chevrolet pickup and can't quite get it to install correctly. Can you please help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this may help

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

GM Full-Size Trucks 1980-1987 Repair Guide

Door Glass and Regulator

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

Non-Stationary Door Glass

1. Lower the door glass completely.
  2. Remove the trim panel from the door.
  3. Remove the ventilator assembly as previously outlined.
  4. Slide the glass forward until the front roller is in line with the notch in the sash channel.
  5. Push window forward and tilt the front portion of window up until rear roller is disengaged.
  6. Put window assembly in normal position (level) and raise straight up and out.
  7. Installation is the reverse of removal.

FIG : Fig. 1: Door window and regulator

image

FIG : Fig. 2: Removing the door glass

image

Manual Door Window Regulator

See Figure 3

1. Raise the glass to the full up position and tape it to the door frame with fabric tape.
  2. Remove the door trim panel.
  3. Remove the regulator to door panel attaching bolts.
  4. Slide the regulator assembly rearward, disengaging the rollers from the sash panel.

A notch is provided in the sash panel to allow disengagement of the forward roller on the window regulator.

1. Collapse and remove the regulator assembly through the access hole in the door.

To install:

1. Prior to installation, lubricate the motor drive gear and regulator sector teeth.
  2. Collapse the regulator and insert it through the access hole in the door.
  3. Unfold the regulator and engage the forward roller to the sash cannel at sash channel notch.
  4. Slide the regulator rearward to engage the rear roller to the sash channel. Also engage the lower roller to the regulator rail.
  5. Slide the regulator into its proper position, and insert the regulator drive through the door panel.
  6. Attach the regulator to the door.
  7. Install the door trim panel.

FIG : Fig. 3: Manual window regulator

image

Power Window Regulator and Motor

See Figure 4

FIG : Fig. 4: Power window regulator and motor

image

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the door trim panel.
  4. Remove the remote control bolts and lay the control aside for access.
  5. Remove the regulator to door panel attaching bolts.
  6. Disconnect the harness from the regulator.
  7. Slide the regulator assembly rearward, disengaging the rollers from the sash panel.

1. Remove the regulator assembly through the access hole in the door.

CAUTION Step 9 must be performed when the regulator is removed from the door. The regulator lift arms are under tension from the counterbalance spring and can cause serious injury if the motor is removed without locking the sector gear in position.

1. Drill a hole through the regulator sector gear and back plate. DO NOT drill a hole closer than 1 /2 inch; to the edge of the sector gear or back plate. Install a pan head sheet metal tapping screw (No. 10-12× 3 /4 inch;) in the drilled hole to lock the sector gear in position.
  2. Remove the motor to regulator attaching screws and remove the motor from the regulator.

To install:

2. Install the motor to the regulator. Make sure the motor and sector gear teeth mesh properly before installing the retaining screws.
  3. Remove the screw locking the sector gear in the fixed position.
  4. Reposition the motor in the door and install the wiring connector.
  5. Attach the regulator to the door.