BigBlock434
BigBlock434, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified and 100% General Motors trained in all fields

99 camaro z28: battery died..the 2 codes to get the unlock code

I have a 99 camaro z28, battery died and now the radio is locked up. I do not remember the code but did find the 2 codes to get the unlock code from, first 3 digits are 882 and the second 3 are 890. can someone plz tell me my unlock code.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

the only way to unlock the radio,is to take it to the dealer...these can not be done at home anymore..sorry

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there was a question just like mine done about 3 months ago on here and they gave the 2 codes and someone told them their unlock code so there has to be a way to tell from those 2 numbers what the correct code is

hi

you can give this a try,,but may not work.you will ned to use your code,either the 882 or 890..

thanks

Unlocking the Theft-Deterrent Feature After a Power Loss

Enter the code as follows; pause no more than 15 seconds between steps.

1. Turn ON the ignition. LOC will appear on the display.
  2. Press MN and 000 will appear on the display.
  3. Press MN again to make the last two digits agree with your code.
  4. Press HR to make the first one or two digits agree with your code.
  5. Press AM-FM after you have confirmed that the code matches the secret code you have written down. The display will show SEC, indicating the radio is now operable and secure.

Entering the incorrect code eight times will cause INOP to appear on the
display. Wait an hour with the ignition in the ON position before you try again. When you try again, you will have three more chances (eight tries per chance) to enter the correct code before INOP appears.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

um, no the code is a 4 digit code that you can get using the 2 sets of 3 numbers. If I put in 882 or 890 it is not going to unlock it. Here was the question and the answer for a question just like mine from months ago.

question:have a 99 camaro with the monsoon stereo system and had work done that required disconnecting the battery. So now when I start the car the radio shows LOC. I bought it from a private dealer and was not given a code. After doing research I have already retrieved the back up code and the first 3 digits are 862 and the second 3 digits are 874.

answer from expert GM Tech: Welcome XXXXXXXX. My apologies for not answering your question earlier. The radio unlock code for the codes you posted is 1761. Use the min button to get the display to say 61 then use the hr button to get it to display 17. The press am/fm. The display should Say SEC. If you choose, you can enter the code again at this time using the same process and disable the theft lock. Please ask if you need more information.

That is what I need, but for the numbers 882 890.

ok

i will opt out,one of the other guys may be able to help you...what is the name brand of your stereo?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is a monsoon, the same one that came stock in the car
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I accept the opt out from Tims auto repair, I request that GM Tech attempt to answer my question.
Expert:  BigBlock434 replied 4 years ago.

GM Tech here. Your unlock code is 1067. Do you know the steps to unlock the radio?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think so, I use the mn to adjust the first 2 numbers and the hr to adjust the last 2 numbers and then hit the am/fm button, I will go try it.

Press the Hr button until the LOC disappears and 000 appears, use the Hr button for the first code and the Min for the last two. Press AM/FM to enter. Write down this code(1067) so if this happens again you will have it.
BigBlock434, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master certified and 100% General Motors trained in all fields
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it worked, and I wrote it down and put it in the glove compartment, thank you for the help.

You are welcome, Thank you.