Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience.

Why wont my car start even after jump starting it with another car?

Customer Question

why won't my car start even after jump starting it with another car?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Any recent repairs?

Does the starter make any noise at all?

Do the lights dim when the key is turned to start?

Any aftermarket devices installed (alarm, keyless, etc..)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No recent repairs. The car makes a clanking noise when the ignition is turned on. The lights don't dim. No devices installed. What happened is that I stepped on the gas in a rush and brake a few times trying to get somewhere. When i put it park and return a few minutes later. i tried to start it,it wouldn't start.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 4 years ago.

It makes the noise when the ignition is turned to RUN or to START?

Does it sound like the noise is coming from the starter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 4 years ago.
How about the answer to the first question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, it makes the noise when it is turned to start (the last part of the ignition starting process)
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 4 years ago.

Ok, which V8 do you have so I can look at the schematics?

4.8L

5.3L Hybrid

5.3L with 8th vin digit B

5.3L with 8th vin digit T

5.3L with 8th vin digit Z

6.0L

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4.8L
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 4 years ago.
Okay, does the clanking noise only happen one time each time you turn the key to start?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It repeatedly clanks each time the key is turned to start
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 4 years ago.
Ok, it sounds like the starter solenoid is engaging but the motor is not spinning. There is a large cable going from the battery to the starter. Make sure this cable is tight at the starter, the junction box and the battery. If it is tight then you can temporarily bypass the cable by hooking the red lead from one end of jumper cables to the big terminal with the wire on the starter. Then hook the other red terminal to the positive on the battery. Try to start it then. If it now starts then the problem is in the battery cable. If the starter still doesn't crank then most likley the problem is inside the starter itself.