Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

im replacing the distributor in a 1998 5.7 vortec threr is

im replacing the distributor in a 1998 5.7 vortec threr is 2 way you can put the roter on and theres a number 8 on the distributor does this have anything to do with lining it up?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

The rotor has pins that are spaced differently on each side, so it can only be installed one way. If you need detailed instructions for distributor replacement, here they are.

• Rotate the number 1 cylinder to Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke.
    Object Number: 301395  Size: SH

• Align white paint mark on the bottom stem of the distributor, and the pre-drilled indent hole in the bottom of the gear (3).

Notice: The ignition system distributor driven gear and rotor may be installed in multiple positions. In order to avoid mistakes, mark the distributor on the following components in order to ensure the same mounting position upon reassembly:

The distributor driven gear
    The distributor shaft
    The rotor holes
    Installing the driven gear 180 degrees out of alignment, or locating the rotor in the wrong holes, will cause a no-start condition. Premature engine wear or damage may result.

Notice: Installing the driven gear 180 degrees out of alignment, or locating the distributor rotor in the wrong holes, may cause a no-start condition. Premature engine wear and damage may result.

• With the gear in this position, the rotor segment should be positioned as shown for a V6 engine (1) or V8 engine (2).
    The alignment will not be exact.
    If the driven gear is installed incorrectly, the dimple will be approximately 180 degrees opposite of the rotor segment when it is installed in the distributor.

Object Number: 34397  Size: SH

• Using a long screw driver, align the oil pump drive shaft to the drive tab of the distributor.
  • Guide the distributor into the engine.

Ensure that the spark plug towers are perpendicular to the centerline of the engine.

Object Number: 4350  Size: SH

• Once the distributor is fully seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the pointer cast into the distributor base.
    This pointer may have a 6 cast into it, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 6 cylinder engine or a 8 cast into it, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 8 cylinder engine.
    If the rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and the camshaft may be off a tooth or more.
    If this is the case, repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment.

.

• Install the distributor mounting clamp.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 301393  Size: SH

• Install the distributor cap.
  • Install two NEW distributor cap screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2.4 N·m (21 lb in).

• Install the electrical connector to the distributor.
  • Install the spark plug wires to the distributor cap.
  • Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
    Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification