GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My battery light keeps flickering on and off..alternator..charging

my battery light keeps flickering on and off. i had the battery checked and they said its good it was 14somethings. and i asked of it could be the alternator and they said it was charging the battery. so what could else could make the light keep coming on.. and it dose'nt do this every time
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
Welcome. The battery light is controlled by the voltage regulator in the alternator. Most often this is a sign that the alternator is failing. Can you tell me how the alternator was checked?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the guy said that he a normal battery by its self oonly charges about 12 volts and mine was going up to fourteen. he also said that he was having a hard time getting a reading and that maybe something was loose.. i asked if he could tell if it was the alternator, and he said that because it was going up (the voltage) that it was sending a charge
Was this a shop or garage with a proper tester?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it was at advanced auto. and the light has'nt been coming on all the time it goes off and on and sometimes just stays off
OK, I am in Canada so is that a part store?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. The tester they use is very simple and can easily give false readings. TO get an accurate reading you need to have it tested at a shop. They have a load tester that will check the diodes and output. This will be an accurate test.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does it sound like the alternator
That is the first thing I would test.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
could it be something loose... i hit alot of potholes
THere is a chance, I would have someone watch the dash while you wiggle the wires around the alternator.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i just got back from getting it tested. the alternaor was bad, and i had to get a new one, but thank you for helping me anyway.. have a nice day