Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2004 chevy cavalier: click click click click

Customer Question

2004 chevy cavalier. click click click click. coming from behind the glove box. It seems to be something to do with the blend door on the vent control. It clicks with the vent control knob in every position but one. I think the 2004 doesnt have a blend door, I dont know how to fix the clicking. Help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

The mode control is done by cable on your Cavalier. The only a/c system door that has an electric actuator is the inlet door. This switches from outside air to recirculate modes. Max a/c is recirculate, the other modes should all operate on outside air. This actuator is located behind the glove box on the far passenger side of the a/c box. The dash must come out of the vehicle to replace this actuator. These actuators click when the plastic gear inside strips or cracks.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do i take the dash apart to get to it?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
  • Disconnect the negative battery cable. .

.

• Disable the SIR system.
  • Remove the instrument panel (I/P) trim pad. .
  • Remove the I/P cluster.
  • Remove the I/P mounted SIR module. .
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Remove the screw (4) from the HVAC temperature control cable.
  • Remove the control cable end (3) from the door lever (2).
  • Remove the HVAC control assembly from the I/P carrier. Leave the harness connected to the HVAC control and position aside. .
  • Remove the radio from the I/P carrier. .
  • Remove the air distribution duct. .
    Object Number: 288324  Size: SH

• Remove the steering wheel.
  • Remove the tilt lever. .
  • Remove the washer switch..
  • Remove the screws (2) from the I/P carrier (3).
  • Remove the nuts (4) from the I/P carrier (3).
  • Remove the I/P carrier (3) from the lower tie bar (1).
  • Remove the I/P carrier (3) from the vehicle.
  •  

• Drain the cooling system. .
  • Recover the refrigerant. .
  • Remove the bolt connecting the evaporator lines to the evaporator.
  • Remove the evaporator lines from the evaporator.
  • Raise and support the vehicle.
  • Use pliers in order to reposition the hose clamps.
  • Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Remove the evaporator case drain tube.
  • .
    Object Number: 288341  Size: SH

• Disconnect the wiring harness from the cross vehicle beam (1).
  • Remove the attaching bolts from the right and left side of the HVAC module.
  • Remove the bolts (2) from the cross vehicle beam.

Important: Place the steering column in the straight tilt position using the tilt lever.

• Remove the cross vehicle beam (1) from the front of the vehicle.
  • Remove the floor air outlet.
  • Disconnect the wiring harness from the HVAC module assembly.
  • Disconnect the electrical connections at the following locations:
    The blower motor
    The blower resistor
  • Remove the HVAC module attaching bolts near the heater hoses and the A/C evaporator lines.
    Object Number: 672767  Size: SH

• Remove the HVAC module assembly screw (2) from the mounting bracket (1).
    Object Number: 672770  Size: SH

Important: Do not tilt the HVAC module assembly, or coolant may leak out.

• Remove the HVAC module from the vehicle.
  •  

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Disconnect the recirculation actuator electrical connector.
  • Remove the recirculation actuator retaining screws.
  • Remove the recirculation actuator.