johnt, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  27 years experience foreign and domestic

How do you hotwire a 2004 silverado

Customer Question

How do you hotwire a 2004 silverado? Yes I am the registered owner, and my email and IP address have prob been recorded so dont worry im not trying to steal cars.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  johnt replied 6 years ago.

you wont be able to hot wire , no way to get past the anti theft.system .

what did they say was wrong ? can you give me a little information on

what happened and what happened to your regular key ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well it has something do do with the side bar safety hazzard. its this little bar that locks up the ignition itself. Like say i put my friends chevy key into my ignition it wouldnt turn cuz this peg or pin like bar stops it from turning. A lot of the time with my key (before I lost it) The ignition would not turn. I guess this is common in my year chevy, he said i prob have to many keys on my ring and that the weight of it messed up my ignition over the years. so this is how he got me moving, they took apart my ignition and he used this plastic thing that went over the ignition and just turned it and it started my truck but it did not insert anything into the key hole itself. The AAA guy wouldnt let me keep his toy, lol, so now i got my truck parked in my driveway and no way to work. See with AAA most services are free but to replace the ignition it would cost me nearly 300 bucks! nI dont get paid but once a month so i have until the 15th to figure this out or get fired. I just need my truck to start. And the way he did it the stearing wheel unlocked and everything.
Expert:  johnt replied 6 years ago.

you should call around to a lock smith , may get it done cheaper. i dont know any other

way , sorry. i am not surprised that you friends key would not work. its not supposed to.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I never tried a friends key, i said the saide bar safety hazzard works like when you use the wrong key. It locks up your ignition the same way. Also I KNOW I SHOULD CALL A F#^%ING LOCK SMITH, but i cant afford one, thats why i came to this site. Dude you need to stick to some easier questions i guess. Thanks for trying i guess.