GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My keyless remote doesnt work...whenever i try..key fob..two minutes

My keyless remote doesn't work...whenever i try to open the car using the remote is doesn't work. After I program the key fob it will work for about two minutes. Its not a battery problem in the key fob since it works to lock the car after I turn the engine off.
Its been like this for a while, just getting tired of opening the car with the key, also the panic wont work also.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
Welcome. Do you have pets in the back of your Equinox?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No pets, are you kidding me with that return question. It works with the engine running but dosnt after a a little while.
The antenna is in the back window, and the static from pets has known to kill the module for the remote control. This is not a BS return question, I am simply trying to get enough information. If you want to continue, seriously, reply. If not then I will close this question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Am I paying every time you answer a question? It works fine foe a few minuets then when the engine is off it won't work until the engine goes back on. With the engine running I walked about 100 feet and its working so I don't think is the window antena

I doubt the antenna as well, but the static discharge is what damages the module. Either way.

Do you always have to reprogram it after starting?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Again, do I have to pay everytime you answer a question???
I don't re set it anymore since it only works a little whilw.

You only pay when you accept my answer.

There is a bulletin for this. I recommend you replace the module and remotes, then program the system. Below is the bulletin.

#06-08-52-002G: Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace RKE Transmitters/Reprogram Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) - (Nov 24, 2008)

Subject:Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace RKE Transmitters and Reprogram Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR))

Models:2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT, SRX
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Equinox, Suburban, Tahoe
2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2007 Pontiac Torrent

This bulletin is being revised to update the Part Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-52-002F (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

Some customers may comment about one or more of the following conditions:

The remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters will not program, function and/or the RKE transmitter low battery message is displayed.

The Service Tire Monitor System message is displayed.

The new RKE transmitters cannot be programmed.

The remote keyless entry (RKE) and/or remote vehicle start (RVS) transmitter has poor range.

Any of these concerns may be caused by an internal fault with the transmitters and/or the RCDLR software/hardware.

Important: Check VIS to determine if Inventory Upgrade 07007 applies and has been completed. If the vehicle is listed in the Inventory Upgrade, and the upgrade has not been performed, complete the Inventory Upgrade before proceeding with this bulletin.

Complete the following repair procedures:

Important: When programming a new or existing RCDLR, the programming instructions in SI must be followed.

On vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM), the tire type and tire pressures must be selected in the module set-up using the Tech 2®. If this step is not performed, the RCDLR will not retain the tire pressures after the TPM system is learned.
    Tip: When selecting the Tire Type/Pressure, choose the appropriate selection on the Tech 2 based on psi, not kPa.
    Relearn the TPM sensors using the J 46079 and following the procedure found in SI.
    After the learn procedure is complete, be sure to set the tire pressures according to the information on the tire placard.

Important: If the Inventory upgrade 07007 has been performed, skip the initial RCDLR programming step #1 and proceed to step #2.

1. Reprogram the RCDLR with the latest software update available through TIS2WEB.
  2. Important: New transmitters are identified by a star on the back of the transmitter. It is important to verify that the replacement transmitters have a star on the back.

3. Replace both Remote Keyless Entry transmitters.
  4. Program the transmitters using the procedure listed in SI.
  5. Perform the following steps in the exact order:
  6. 4.1. Remove the key from the ignition.
    4.2. Open and close the driver's door.
    4.3. Close all other doors/trunk/liftgates.
    4.4. Wait 5 minutes.
    4.5. Press the Unlock Button and verify that the doors all unlock.
    If the customer's concerns are corrected, no further repairs are required.
    If the customer's concerns are NOT corrected, proceed with step 5.

Important: In most cases, steps 1-3 will correct the customer's concern. In a few cases, it may be necessary to replace the RCDLR.

7. If the customer's concern is still present, replace the RCDLR.
  8. Program the RCDLR with the latest software update available through TIS2WEB.
  9. Reprogram both Remote Keyless Entry Transmitters.

Parts Information

Important: Refer to the parts catalog to identify the correct part numbers for the vehicle being serviced.

Avalanche, Fullsize Utility:

Part Number

Transmitter -- 5 Buttons with Liftglass, Power Liftgate and Remote Vehicle Start System

Transmitter -- 3 Buttons with Remote Vehicle Start System

Transmitter -- 3 Buttons

Transmitter -- 5 Buttons with Liftglass and Power Liftgate

Transmitter -- 4 Buttons with Liftglass

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why would it work when the car is running and for a little while after its turned off. Its like the system goes to sleep.

There is only 3 wires to the module, power, ground and the network. This should not go to sleep. It this was mine, I would try to flash the system with the newest calibrations first and try.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this something I could do myself and where do I find this module?
The module is behind the rear quarter trim panel in the back, passengers side. The software you need a dealer to flash.