Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban that is making a humming noise

I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban that is making a humming noise under the drivers side after turning the car off. I noticed that the ABS light came on and stayed on while driving. Is there any concern about the noise? The car has been off for over 2 hours and the noise persists. It sounds like something is 'on'.
It sounds like your ABS pump is stuck on. It happens sometimes, you'll have to pull the ABS fuse under the hood to get it to turn off, or it will run your battery down. If you pull the ABS fuse and the noise stops, you will be replacing the electronic brake control module, the relay for the pump motor is internal to the module. And it's about a $1000 fix.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I pulled the fuse and the noise stopped. Can I still drive the car or will it cause damage. How urgent is the fix?
You can drive the truck and it will behave normally, except that the antilock brake system is disabled. You will have lights and warning messages on the dash, of course, but the brake system will work as it should, minus the ABS feature. Some folks never fix it, because of the expense; in some states (mine included) it's a failure item on the annual safety inspection, so it will have to be fixed if this applies to you. Of course, I recommend having it fixed at your earliest convenience, but you can drive it this way indefinitely without causing further damage to the truck. I just don't want you to ignore it and get hurt because ABS is an important safety feature on your truck, that may save you from a really nasty situation some day.