ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master tech
Experience:  30 years ASE Master L1 GM certified
11302663

2000 chevy tahoe out of park into drive when shift lever wont move

Customer Question

how do you get 2000 chevy tahoe out of park into drive when shift lever won't move
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting JA.com
Do the brake lights illuminate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the brakes lights illuminate; this problem has happened before but I only had to turn the car off and back on again. Is there an override!
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Alright, I'm not sure of an override, but I was thinking a brake switch. But if the brake lights work while the problem is happening then it's probably not the reason. I am going to opt out so the other guys can help out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay!
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.

greetings,

You either have a shift lock solenoid issue or the shift cable is stuck. Try putting the ignition key into accessory and move the shifter.

let me if this works. You may have to remove the steering column cover and manually release the shift lock.

good luck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I aready tried the key in accessory. i know about the manual release but where is it located on top or below the steering column and do I need a special tool to release the shift lock. where is the shift lock solenoid located
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.
lower part of the column. I did a few with just a small screw driver when doing ignition switches and the column would lock on me and the battery was disconnected.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are talking about the shifting lever functional and not turning the steering column right. i need more details on were you are putting this screw driver and should the battery be disconnected.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.
that is what I am talking about. I will see if I can find a picture. you are in the airbag system area, I probably should tell you disconnect the battery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if the shift solenoid needs to be replaced were is it located.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.
the shift lock solenoid is above the ignition cylinder and behind it.
ironmike, ASE Master tech
Experience: 30 years ASE Master L1 GM certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if you can get me that picture thats all i need; send picture toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. thanks for your help.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.

sorry, moved it in the newer trucks. It is on the lower part of the steering column right side.

Notes

Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.
I think I remember better now, I just moved the linkage from behind the lock cylinder to move the shift lock and release the shifter. I couldn't find the picture that easy and I have better recall on the new stuff at the dealer, 2004 and up. Sorry again.