Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

91 Chevy truck: idle speed..warms..a trouble code 32 for EGR circuit

My 91 Chevy truck with 4.3L engine has a very high idle speed, lowers down a bit when warms up. I have a trouble code 32 for EGR circuit. I vacuum tested the EGR valve and it doesn't hold vacuum at all - I think it should.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the egr valve should hold a vacuum, this is the cause of your code 32. It is not the cause of the high idle though. High idle speed can be caused by a vacuum leak so check all the vacuum hoses, make sure there are none leaking, make sure there are no vacuum leaks around the base of the throttle body, make sure pcv valve is good. If you find no vaccum leaks, replace the idle air control (IAC) valve. This is located on the throttle body.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Dave

PCV is klicking - so think that's good, hoses are good, brake booster had vacuum when I removed the hose - I sprayed some stuff around the TB base and it made the revs change also sprayed on to the mounting place of the EGR wit same results. So a new TB gasket and a new EGR should fix the problem. Thanks Dave