Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

what does scan code p0601 mean?

what does scan code p0601 mean?
This P-Code is pointing to an internal fault in the PCM. The only repair for this code is to replace the PCM. If the PCM was able to be re-programmed, you would also have the P0602 set as well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I get a new (remanufactured?) pre-programmed ECM will I have to take it to the dealer? Will they do the rest of the programming (CASE)?
Most of the time, if you get an aftermarket PCM, it should come pre-programmed and no other programming should be needed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK, I went to PCM4LESS website and they talked about a CASE (Crankshaft Angle Sensor Relearn) being necessary if the computer is completely rewritten with the latest GM calibration. But they also said they had loaners that have the CASE relearn disabled and it does not hurt performance. So it must not be too important?

What do you know about CASE?

Who would you get an ECM from? AutoZone? PCM4LESS?

I, personally, think AutoZone is good for car wash soap, car seat covers, etc. I wouldn't buy an electrical item from them if they were the last store on earth. I would suggest NAPA for an ECM. I'm also not a big fan of buying car parts off the internet. As for the crank re-learn, GM recommends that the following be done when installing a new PCM:

• The crankshaft variation learn procedure
  • The engine oil life reset procedure
  • The idle learn procedure
  • The inspection/maintenance complete system set procedure
  • The vehicle theft deterrent password XXXXX procedure
  • The Throttle Position (TP) sensor learn procedure

However, like i say- this is for a blank PCM. When you buy an aftermarket one, it should have all this pre-programmed.